Fishorhunt

LED lighting

When I walleye fish I parallel the bank and it requires some precision casting so lighting is fairly important. I've used black lights for years and I simply hate them and am considering putting LED strip lights around my boat but, I know next to nothing about them. I really like the green color but, I'm worried about the brightness. I don't want to spend over $100 on a lighting system and it not be bright enough. Can someone with this knowledge point me towards the right lumen LEDS that I'm looking for? Thanks and good fishing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I bought one of the 5 meter long UV/led strips off eBAy from China for $20 it's waterproof and the led size is 5050 they are the bigger ones it's as long as the boat is and it is a true black light/UV they also have one for like 30$ that is same length but come with remote that changes color from like blue red greed white check those things out there pretty cool and inexpensive

Edited by Cohank

I picked up some LED strips from Bass Pro for under my canopy.  They work great.  Not sure how far they would cast light toward the bank.

I picked up some of the Moon Beam LED black lights last year, and am very pleased with them.  The model I have has black light and green light options which work well. 

I see a lot of boats with led lighting.  I've been wanting to add some to my boat as well.

I just finished a boater education course to meet my Virginia requirements.  It was given by Coast Guard Auxiliary, and VDGIF Conservation Police.

They covered nav light rules and addressed led lights on boats.  Basically, the VA law is no lighting that interferes with navigation lights.  VDGIF officer didn't have a problem with the blue/black uv type lights, as long as it didn't affect visibility of nav lights.  But, he said that red or green led lights could be mistaken for nav lights.

I found a link to the TWRA rules section.  I have included the link below.  Maybe this will help in making your selection.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/lighting

I picked up some LED strips from eBay. They were around 10 bucks for 5 meters. Lights up the inside great. Not real sure how far they would shine out tho. They are pointed straight down in the pics. They are bright. They are the 5050 style as mentioned in an earlier post.

df54c3c77ff23ac0f39a50847ede6b06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bblevins34

I have Bluewater LED's throughout my Ranger , I chose white and let me tell ya they are bright lol

I have no trouble seeing at night with them and haven't had an issue with bugs anymore than normal. I also have the rub rail LED set for my Nav lights and recently purchased a remote control dimmer that may help if your worried about being too bright. I haven't installed the dimmer controller yet but did test it out in my garage one night and worked pretty cool.

Here's a video I put together of the dimmer in action and just hooked them to a spare battery

Edited by Bigwrench
  • Like 1