Opry99er

Rod Holders...

Need some heavy rod holders capable of handling large rods and reels... I have looked at Monster Rod Holders, and they are the gold standard, but a bit pricey...

Here is a pic of my boat. You can see there is already a rod holder in place, but it is too small for the big tackle I am using for drifting.

FB_IMG_1425947491004_zpse88tutyj-1_zpshc

Anything you can suggest would be great. Looking to spend $20 or so per holder. Thanks!!!

Those look really nice.

Little above the ol' price range though.  :)

See, the Monster Rod Holders aren't priced all that high, but they only have a flat mounting bracket... As you can see in the pic, my side walls are rounded....So I would have to either buy a separate mounting bracket (a clip-on type) or do some kind of construction in order to allow a flat-mount. 

You might look at the Walmart holders at about $10 each that permananty mounts to a 2 or 3 hole bracket attached to the side rail top.  dada 1-27-16  5:34 PM

Looks like ya got a couple of great rod holders in the boat already, one is sitting behind the steering wheel. Ha

They do look a little small but I bet they are tough.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Second on Driftmaster - get the "Pro" models (more-better heavy duty-er):

Driftmaster Pro Rod Holder $17.99 (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/driftmaster-pro-rod-holder?repChildCatid=170004)

Driftmaster Pro Duo Rod Holder (allows different holding angles) $21.99 (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/driftmaster-pro-duo-rod-holder?repChildCatid=212802)

Both are rock solid (work well trolling with 9.5 ft musky rods...) and can be mounted in any orientation you desire.

Driftmasters are great.

Also, for around $20 a piece, Scotty Power Lock rod holders are hard to beat.  Cabelas sell them as 360HT model.  They are plenty strong enough.  I even use them to pull u-rigs.  Had them on my boat for 10+ years now and never had a problem.

Did you check some of Steve's cheaper Monster models? the 0/33s are my favorite but I've used several of the other line and hes got some more budget friendly alternatives.

I have looked at them.  There are some very affordable Monster Rod Holders.  I don't know how I would mount them though....  My jon boat has some very odd rounded side rails, and it might make for an interesting experiment, trying to mount those holders onto the boat.  :)

But perhaps there is a way.......

• Like 1

Fun fact: Steve has introduced new rounded bases for Jon boats! I've actually gotta get a few for my little 1436 Alumacraft. Those should fit the bill and something else to consider in which you could use either base is have someone TIG weld them on.

It's pretty cheap having them welded on too as it takes little time. My gunnels are rounded abit so flat bases wouldn't stay in place and would rock back and forth working loose. Not any more.

post-165-0-20553500-1455554007_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Wood_Duck

If you look at the far right hand side of the picture at the top ofthe thread, you c can see what I am working with. Rolled aliminum at the top. There are two.rod holders mounted there already... They are sort of snapped in under the round top and screwed into the side wall.

They work very nicely for holding non-active rods and my fishing net, but they do not angle downward for drifting, and they are too small to fit my large cat rods into.

I am looking up the suggestions you guys have made right now... I appreciate the info!

OK.  I faced this problem a couple of months ago (rod holder mount to jon boat "fusion") and came up with a robust solution that works for me.  I wanted to have a rod holder for tolling for big fishies (musky et al.) and originally choose a "heavy duty" model of the Attwood polymer holders (see below) from Academy, which are better than the cheap'uns but certainly will not stand up to the fatigue of trolling 6-8 oz lures.  I wanted something indestructible - the Attwood wasn't going to cut it.

418tMS3pjL.jpg

Therefore, I choose to go with the Driftmaster Pro holders due to their heavy construction and non-atmosphereic price.  BUT, as you mentioned Mr. Opry, there is was no straight forward to mount these holders in a robust fashion to the side of my 14 ft jon.  So, after a little head scratching and some brews I came up with a solution using materials I had laying around.

I started with sections of 2x4s and 4x4s of treated wood and came up with a design to mount the rod holder AND my sonar display.  I decided to mount the holder and display to the 4x4 sections, which were attached to a section of 2x4 with massive stainless screws and marine epoxy (awesome stuff:  http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetail.php?prod=E_Kit).  The 4x4 sections were formed by repeated saw cuts, sanding, and hand filing to create the angles required to create horizontal surfaces for the holder and display.  After drilling the mounting holes (to attach to side of boat), the entire assembly was coated (twice) in the marine epoxy to seal the wood and a coat of rattle-can paint was applied for aesthetics .  The 2x4 section was then attached to the side of the boat, just in front of the rear seat, using stainless steel fasteners (always stainless, ALWAYS!).  The fruit of my labor:

IMG_5390%20reduced%20size.jpeg

Another view:

IMG_5405%20resized.jpeg

And another:

IMG_5399%20resized.jpeg

And one more:

IMG_5403%20resized.jpeg

The result of my toils is a stout rod holder/display mount, and I have no doubt the side of my boat will bend and fail before the holder/display mount.  Now, I just need another for the other side...

I hope you at least get some inspiration from these pictures - a perfect holder mount is only a few hours of labor away.  Good luck with your "custom-indestructable-rod-holder-mount" project. 

• Like 1

Pieguy, I have a similar unit lowrance 4 hdi and it's awesome. If there's fish down there you will see them

Oh no doubt, these little Lowrance down-scan units are awesome and provide amazing images of "stuff down there" - especial trees.  Two years ago when I purchased it I just couldn't bring myself to shell out the extra money for the GPS capability...I now wish I had.  :wink:

I have several Scotty Power Lock's on my boat.  Decent, fairly inexpensive holders, but might be tough to mount on your boat.  I use big striper rods in them and they work fine. 

The swivel 360, and also tilt.

If you did the wood mounting blocks on the side, they would work fine.

3522919.jpg