ProTek

Wildlife While Fishing

Nice pictures, I'm just waiting for someone to call that snake a copperhead. :)

Those water snakes sure do look like copperheads, especially at first glance and if you're. To used to seeing them. Take it from me. Had just moved from Texas to Greenback. Wa anxious to explore these pretty mountains and creeks, rivers, lakes. So...studied the maps and took my grandson on our first trip up Abrams creek to camp. Paddled canoe from Hwy 129 upstream as far as we could go. Fiddled along fishing to catch enough for our supper. Found a sorta' flat spot up the bank a few feet where we could bed down. Whole jay, kid, was gathering firewood and laying out our sleeping bags and tarp, I used top of canoe in knee deep water to filet our fish. It was perfect height in knee deep water and easy to reach canoe and rinse fish in cool flowing creek water. About that time Jay saw the water snakes gathering up all around the canoe, in the water and on he bank. I had chummed them right up with those fish scraps. Needless to say, we had some worries about sleeping on the ground that night ( might have something to do with growing up among Texas rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths). Was a great trip.

nice eagle photo, I've only seen a couple of those while fishing. rare to see one of those, or for me anyway. but thanks for sharing.

I saw a bald eagle last week in Ish Creek, Fort Loudon. Right at dark and could not get a photo.

Here are two from about 2005; they were in a friend's back yard in east Texas. Displaced by Hurricane Katrina, this was a couple of weeks afterward. No telling what they had experienced, how they survived, how they decided to go whichever direction, where they went after this.

post-196-0-25592300-1386820704.jpg

Guest_turtle_*  sounds like you had a good trip! Sometimes we get the best of both worlds, awesome surroundings and great fishing. When you mentioned seeing the turkeys it reminded me of a trip I had on Douglas two years ago. It was sweltering hot and humid, I was fishing around a point and making my was into the back of a small pocket and noticed something swimming around the cove. Come to find it was turkey! and a Bigun! LOL had a nice beard on it. Turns out that was the highlite of my fishing trip

• Like 1

Accidentally, I tossed a spinnerbait into a flock of ducks, one very dark night.

The lake exploded.

I don't know who yelled the loudest, me or my dog.

• Like 1

Once while fishing on Calderwood with my dad, we found a bear cub about 35 pounds sitting on a limb overhanging the water. The little cuss had went for an easy meal of a trout on a limb line and got the hook in his tongue. Dad held a throw cushion on his arm and to shield him from the cub. He then took his pocket knife and cut the line and let it go. That cub was mad to say the least but very relieved to be back on dry ground. We have cut many coons, some dead and some alive, off of those lines.

A squirrel was swimming across a wide section of Watts Bar Lake one day and I felt sorry for the little guy. So, I stuck out my boat paddle and he hopped right in the boat. I don't know what I was thinking. When we reached the other bank I guess I was thinking that he would just thank me and hop right out like in a Disney Movie.

Wrong!... I had to beat that hateful thing out of the boat. The whole time the squirrel is snapping at me and screaming his head off. Don't do this. 

• Like 1