ProTek

Wildlife While Fishing

Had a big black bear swim across Laurel Bed about a month ago. Same day we saw a deer and the family of eagles up there. And my father caught his 3rd muskie from there.

A few weeks ago I was floating around the weir on the clinch before sunup. As I was paddling along I saw a white streak in the water, a wake coming off of something swimming next to my canoe. Then it all of a sudden made a huge splash right next to me. I cursed it for making my presence known but kept on paddling. Then a couple minute later I saw the wake again just as it made the same thrashing splash. I paddled onto my destination and dropped anchor figuring I would give it a try anyways after a few minutes. Of course I saw the wake again and I could follow its path since I was sitting still. The thing was circling me! What the heck does this?

I vote otter. They love to play and most of the time are not afraid because they are perfectly comfortable in the water.

yea people always assume the worst with snakes. those banded water snakes are fast and aggresive, especailly when you grab them. not that i would ever try anything so foolish.............

I had one as a pet for a while. His name was nipper, but he eventually calmed down and quit biting me. That was by far my favorite reptile I ever owned. He would sit still and look like a branch when hunting minnows, then grab them and flip them over on the rocks and wait til it stopped kicking. he was smart enough to know they couldn't get back into the water in the tank i built for him Edited by gd77punk

I have seen otters around before, but never knew them to be so aggressive. I also did not know they had nocturnal tendencies since I have only seen them in the daytime

Edited by gd77punk
gotta love auto correct

talking to some guys down at the fly shop, they said there are some beaver in there. i've never seen one but i have heard of beavers slapping tail as a warning. it fits, but i won't be convinced until i see one plain as day. maybe it was a chupacabra? do those swim? i may never know

Edited by gd77punk

Fishin up at Norris last spring we watched a bald eagle take a bath right in front of the boat. It was in a small creek channel and didn't seem to mind at all....we got pretty close. Was cool.

We were on Cherokee this morning Oct. 8, and saw deer, turkey, & a bald eagle swoop down and pick up on of our tossed of dead baits. The fishing was outstanding also. CannonBall and myself tossed a large bait into the air to watch the eagle in the tree come pick it up on Norris around a month ago.

I was on Norris last year come'n out of Cedar Creek at 60 mph and seen something out in front of me, I started veering to the right to clear what ever it was and then noticed it was a deer. I sat the boat down and idled a little ways from her and stayed with her till she hit the bank. Good thing the sun wasn't in my eyes and I seen it well before I got to her. I also seen sasquach on the Little T while duck hunt'n. I still to this day cant figure this one out, I was back in a creek with a bunch of cattails/reed grass and some guy came out of the reeds and stepped out into view in the creek with nothing but a pair of Budweiser boxers on, looked at us and disappeared back into the reeds. I didn't hear banjo's but the thought run through my head....... I have seen just about everything but the Eagles on the lakes are my favorite along with the turkeys come'n off roost early in the morning on Norris.

Hey guys, Thanks for all the stories and photos. It makes my day to see the wildlife while I am fishing.

saw 4 turkeys trying to fly across Lake Cumberland and came up 100 yards short. Had to swim the rest of the way. No webbed feet and no water repellant feathers. They were tired and wet when they got out.

had trouble with some otters this spring stealing crappies out of my fish basket, heck, i have trouble getting crappies out of it. i know it was otters, because i saw one of them bail off my boat with a nice crappie in his mouth. amazing animal. when docked over night i don't use the basket anymore.

Edited by libo