ProTek

Wildlife While Fishing

Some small streams in Burgess Jct. Wyo. Deer, Moose, Mustangs. Beautiful. The Big Horn Mtn. range is a paradise with lots of wild brook trout.

Posted Image

I posted this in another thread...but it was sooo funny. You had to be there.

One time...just on the other side of 66. My buddy Mike and I were troutin' in the spring there. We had our chest waders on...then we stepped in a little too deep and the water was a little too fast. There we were...taking 30 foot steps to get to the shore and going downstream fast. LOL. Mike was just like "Go with it man...just go with it." We've had some good runs (rides)...even with nice ones on. Just like in the movie "A River Runs Through It."Another time...not far past the track (near Adams Crossing)...Mike, Richie, Jerry, Dave, and I were at it again...troutin'. We all had waders except for Richie. LOL. We walked downstream quite a bit. On the way back...Dave and I were walking point stream side. LOL...we saw a huge black bear. We yelled to the others. Everybody jumped in and crossed except for Richie. It was up to our necks and cold water. We all had our neoprene waders on. Richie looks left...looks left...looks at us...and jumps in and crosses! It was so funny. Oh god. I am laughing so hard right now. Those were the days. My favorite troutin' around there by far was the Little Hoosic though. I won't go into where I got chased by a bull one time. My next favorite to that would be the Battenkill.

I saw an enormous alligator snapper earlier this year. I was catfishing from the bank late one night, and I saw him swim out by my line. He looped around and came up the bank beside me. I was using livers, cutbait, and hotdogs, and I think he smelled them. I didn't see him swim back, and he came up right beside me and scared the poop out of me. The are large fearsome looking creatures, and have a reputation for being ill-tempered. I fed him 3 hot dogs hoping he would leave but he just sat there. I couldn't fish knowing he was that close, so I grabbed a big stick and pushed him back into the lake. He got angry and started taking chunks out of the branch. He was definitely the biggest and meanest looking turtle I have ever seen.

The zoom on my little portrait camera is awful but there were 13 bald eagles in this photo. I have caught large (to 40 pounds) snapping turtles in my cast net and would bring them all to a deceased black friend (David Robinson) here in town. I have also caught a beaver in the cast net at night.

Posted Image

Here is a frog I caught while we waited for the women to go get food and drinks on shore. Had to cast some you know. This was on Lake Champlain last year. IMAG0404.jpg

I noticed that when I moved here. Everyone warning me about copperheads. Saying there are copperheads infesting their ponds. When they show me one it just turns out to be a little water snake. Seems like people in the south were taught from a very early age that all water snakes were copperheads. Probably was easier in the parents mind making sure their kids were afraid of all snakes and wouldn't bother them. Makes sense, but I would hope that at some point they would know better. Still a lot of older men when shown a water snake will swear to his grave that it's a copperhead.

Great pictures, Thanks. Could be CottonMouth?:undecided: Think I'll ask Turtle Man.

Edited by ecox

yea people always assume the worst with snakes. those banded water snakes are fast and aggresive, especailly when you grab them. not that i would ever try anything so foolish.............

If anyone's familiar with the "greenbelt" in Kingsport, it follows reedy creek through town and empties into the south fork below eastman. It's amazing how much wild life there is all along it considering all the people, houses and business. I've seen wild turkey and deer foraging in the middle of the day. I put my fishing rod on my bike and ride to all my honey holes. I've finally located many productive and unproductive spots. I very seldom see other anglers there, they must think it's not worth their time or it's too much trouble. FYI, there's some nice fish in there.

I know I already told kickapooh in the chat but Saturday morning on melton I saw nothing short of pure hilarity and wish I had a gopro in the boat. By the drainage where the road runs in the back of Jackass I was up in there when a flock of turkeys started crossing the water, landing on the far edge of the road and running up hill there. They were flying off the opposing ridge. Well I see one come swooping down and nailed the powerline, done a loop-t-loop and crashed. Couple minutes later he comes running down by the water, takes off again and manages to get across. Few seconds later, 4 come flying down together...eeexcept one must have had his air speed abit incorrect and he came in too low and plowed headon into the guard rail making a loud clang and sending feathers flying. He flopped around a few seconds before getting up and staggering across the road and up the hill. Never seen a graceful turkey in flight, but that was quite a sight.

• Like 1

Could it have been this years youth and lack of experience showing.