ProTek

Wildlife While Fishing

Lets hear those stories and see those pictures you may have about your wildlife encounters while fishing.

Note: The orginal thread on this was removed at the starter's request. The other members who posted didn't request to have their stories and such removed. So this thread has been cleaned up and rebuilt for the members.

• Like 1

We've seen everything that lives in these parts including deer, bears, coons, bald eagles, hawks, possum and all 987,264 species of snakes that call Tennessee home. The coolest thing is bears and I've seen them plundering around the shore as well as swimming across the lake. The funniest wildlife we've seen was at Guntersville when we were running in a channel and there was a raccoon swimming across. He was past the boat lane and when we shot past him he spun around and looked at us. I swear he had an expression somewhere between bewilderment and disgust.

Elk, deer, muskrat, mink, otter, eagles, snakes. fox squirrels. raccoon, just about most animals you find native to Tennessee. All that nature has to offers:) and great fishing. It don't get much better than that. It isn't always the catching that make the best memories.:)

I remember an outing on Norris with Dad at Andersonville, (50 years ago) we saw a black panther in the mill creek area. When we talked to the dock owners they said they had seen it before. No one could seem to explain where it came from.

Guest turtle

Last Monday my son and I were fishing a point where we caught 5 spots in about 15 minutes . My son saw something swimming out in open water .We went out to it and found a squirrel that seemed glad to see us . as the boat got close it came to it and tried climbing on . I scooped it up with a bucket and it climbed out on the gunnel . It was so tired that it didn't care about us or the two Dachsunds that we were going nuts in our arms .It was all we could do to hold onto the dogs as they squealed and squirmed trying to get at it . We went towards the bank and the squirrel moved right up beside me and sat still while I stroked its back with my hand . When the bow hit the bank I pushed him along the gunnel with my hand until he got to the front and jumped to the ground . We had our hands full hanging on to the dogs as he climbed up the bank .After we pushed off and headed out we let the dogs go . My male dog immediately leaped into the water and swam to the bank . The squirrel had gone up the bank towards the tree line at a place that was too steep for the dog to follow so he was gone and safe . We speculated that the squirrel had gone for a swim just before a little squall of wind moved in and the chop caused him to lose sight of the land . Sometimes we shoot squirrels and eat them . This time we caught one with a bucket and let it go .

Guest turtle

While fishing yesterday I saw another squirrel swimming . Bud , my 12 lb dachsund , jumped in and took off after it . The squirrel put it in high gear and left him far behind . This is the third squirrel I have seen swimming this week . Then we saw a flock of young turkeys going up the bank in the back of a cove . Not long after that , we came upon a beaver and once again Bud dove off the bow and went after him . He didn't have anymore luck with that than he did with the squirrel . As we headed out of the ramp area on the access road we met a couple of yearling deer . The dogs went crazy . The fishing was fair . I caught about 10 or 12 spots and half a dozen largemouths . At dusk I landed a 22 and 1/2 inch largemouth to end the afternoon with . Not bad for a 4 hour trip .

Edited by ProTek
Thread fixed. See first post. :)