coolbreeze135

2016 Fishing resolutions

Hey folks,

2016 is quickly approaching, and with it, new opportunities. I have some personal fishing-related goals for 2016, and I thought it would be cool if some of you shared yours.

I'll start. Until recently, I only fished occasionally. This is largely due to the fact that I have no boat, and public access for bank fishing is slim around here. Also, I don't have any friends that fish.  But recently I started fishing consistently and am progressing past weekend angler.  With this comes some goals. In 2016 I intend to:

1) Catch trout on fly- Trout have been elusive this year. I've been teaching myself fly fishing. I can catch other species just fine, but I haven't caught a single trout in the past year and a half of trying. I plan to change that.

2) Learn to use a baitcaster- Been using spinning gear for a long time. Always been told that a baitcaster is better for some applications, so I have decided to figure it out for myself.

3) Spend more time power fishing for bass- I often rely on finesse techniques. I simply have more confidence in smaller profile baits like grubs and worms. But I want to start branching out and gain some confidence in less subtle baits (chatterbaits, crankbaits, buzzbaits, etc...).

4) Catch walleye or sauger locally- I have never seen these guys south of Minnesota, but I am determined to find them around here.

That's it for me! What do you hope to accomplish in the coming year?

Edited by coolbreeze135
  • Like 1

Thank you coolbreeze135. I guess it is good to have a goal for the up coming year. Since late 2009 work has been very demanding with my personal time, so I sort of put alot of my fishing and camping on hold. Now it is time to pick up my whinning hind end, and get out there.

I want to be a little more active with getting out on the water. I love to fish but I also like just being out on the water. I want to drift the holston river a little more next year, and maybe a 2 or 3 day drift, fish and camp down the holston or clinch river from virginia. A few walleye and sauger would be great to. I haven't trout fished in years, but when I did I went up to watauga river in Elizabethton and usualy had a great time catching some. I am hoping to get out there with my dad more often.

There is so much fishing in east tn that the only problem I have is the time. This area has almost every kind of fresh . water fish, all we need is the ocean a little closer. Thank y'all on this site for putting up with me.

Don't repeat this, but many thanks to Captain Ds and Long Johns. Closes thing I have had to real fish in the past 6 years. I think it was real fish?

• Like 2

Roybrew, thanks for your posts. I also try Captain D's, but hear too much about Long John's.Any way you slice it, there's nothing like FRESH crappie from a clean lake. I guess that is why I look for anyone who fishes Cherokee (& other lakes, too). We all know it has been a poorer summer for the crappie. dada 11-11-15 9:52 AM

Edited by dada
  • Like 1

I learned to fly fish as a kid and was ok at it but when my dad took it up we both went to the little river fly fishing class and it took a lot of the secrets to fly fishing and tossed them out the window. Catching trout on a fly became so second nature that I grew tired of it. Dad still fly fishes somewhere in eastern TN every weekend and he's very very good at it.

My goal this year is to get my boat rigged out and finished just the way that I want it.

Break my 500 crappie in the freezer by March record. I supply a small army of family members and friends with crappie every year.

Boat 40 walleye from Tellico

this spring.

Catch a 10 lb walleye on topwater.....and get it in the boat for a picture.

Lofty goals but realistically achievable.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Thanks for the offer rusty, I may take you up on that sometime. As requested by dada, I live in rogersville, and mostly fish the upper end of cherokee lake. It's convenient and I grew tired of driving an hour or more away to other lakes and not catching anything. I am not that good of a fisherman but I do enjoy it. Now it's time to stick with the topic of discussion. Let's hear rusty's, dada's and punk's 2016 goals. Bone up y'all

Seriously, Less time working, more time fishing...

Find the waterfall I couldn't this past September and catch the trout that live above it... Catch a walleye or sauger while fishing for something else... And a new 4wt fly rod since I'm tired of breaking the one I've got...

• Like 1

I guess my 2016 goal is the same as my 2015, 2014, 2013...... Etc etc etc....... All the way to 1986 or so........ Is to catch a 10 lb largemouth.

Edited by Rusty50576
  • Like 2

Mine will be a double digit trout brown or bow. However we still have a month and a half left in this year. I'm going to fish hard for this goal in this year!

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk

My goal, at least through this year is to somehow obtain a greater ability to endure the cold, windy weather, be a better troller for Crappie and see one of my buddy's finally catch more or bigger fish than me 😇

Edited by bigsmallie
  • Like 1

I learned to fly fish as a kid and was ok at it but when my dad took it up we both went to the little river fly fishing class and it took a lot of the secrets to fly fishing and tossed them out the window. Catching trout on a fly became so second nature that I grew tired of it. Dad still fly fishes somewhere in eastern TN every weekend and he's very very good at it.

My goal this year is to get my boat rigged out and finished just the way that I want it.

Break my 500 crappie in the freezer by March record. I supply a small army of family members and friends with crappie every year.

Boat 40 walleye from Tellico

this spring.

Catch a 10 lb walleye on topwater.....and get it in the boat for a picture.

Lofty goals but realistically achievable.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

r u saying a 10 lb walleye on top water is a reasonable expectation ? wow my goals r 2 low !!! Set the Hook !

Well, last year, I said I would like to break the 40 pound striper barrier.  With the help of info from Ezel, and my friend Trey and daughter Mere, we boated a 44 in the Cumberland River.

Not sure about this year.  Maybe we are now into the 5 pound increments.  A 45 pounder??  Maybe a 50 if lucky.

On the trout front, a 10 pound brown would be nice.

• Like 2

fish Dale hollow for first time. my dad thinks u can go there and catch big lake trout like Bill Dance did many years ago !

only fished Dale Hollow twice for smallies but it is a whole different mind set for me , the Obey river is a blast for trout too.
  • Like 1