kahrp45andy

150 evinrude won't shut off.

Got the wild hair to go do some nighttime river striper fishing last night. Got to the water about 10:45. Used my trolling motor all night until I put the boat on the trailer. It fired right up, drove on, and then wouldn't shut off. My tach would turn off when I turned the key but the motor would keep running.I finnally pulled the fuel line off to get it to die so I could go home. It's a 1998 150 evinrude with jet. Any ideas on what this could be?

unfortuantley I have had the same gas in there for about 1.5 months now. Been a little while since ive really been able to run it. It had been fine until 3 am today. 

Not a mech, but I'll guess the switch is shorted, or a wire loose on it. Most motors have a kill  switch that is required when you fish trxs. That kills the motor right away. While on the motor thing, my friend's 130 had a "down" button on the side that went bad 2 weeks ago.  We had to go home with it all the way up.    dada 8-2-15   6:50 PM

Dada, when I got this motor and control box earlier this year and rigged it up I couldn't find a kill switch any where on the controls. No up button, ball in key, thing that slides in behind key. Nothing. And has been running great. I was thinking a wire or switch also but really want sure where to start.

Not a mech, but I'll guess the switch is shorted, or a wire loose on it. Most motors have a kill  switch that is required when you fish trxs. That kills the motor right away. While on the motor thing, my friend's 130 had a "down" button on the side that went bad 2 weeks ago.  We had to go home with it all the way up.    dada 8-2-15   6:50 PM

Next time that happens, there is a screw on the tilt unit that will manually let the motor down.

That was caused by a bad relay. I guess you know that by now.

KC Steve, Yes,  we found out AFTER driving home with it up. My friend purchased 2 (yes, two) relays because this was the second time the relay went bad.  Thanks for your info on most of these motor problems.   dada 8-3-15   11AM

KC Steve, Yes,  we found out AFTER driving home with it up. My friend purchased 2 (yes, two) relays because this was the second time the relay went bad.  Thanks for your info on most of these motor problems.   dada 8-3-15   11AM

The same thing happened to me. Bunch Marine told me what to do. I'm glad to pass it along.

Like me, your friend now has one good spare relay.

The black wire with yellow stripe is the shut down wire. Basically when you turn the switch off the ign switch will put ground to that wire. So either the ign switch is not grounded or there is a break in that black wire with the yellow stripe. There is a chance the ign switch itself could be bad too. It's a fairly simple system I'm sure you can figure it out.

The black wire with yellow stripe is the shut down wire. Basically when you turn the switch off the ign switch will put ground to that wire. So either the ign switch is not grounded or there is a break in that black wire with the yellow stripe. There is a chance the ign switch itself could be bad too. It's a fairly simple system I'm sure you can figure it out.

Thanks. I have not had a chance to look at it yet. But that sounds like the place to start. I guess when I get a chance I will be pulling the switch box apart and looking at it.