Sign in to follow this  
Bass_Honey

First fish?

Bass_Honey, this is a great thread. Strange I hadn't seen it before. My younger brother Ben and I started fishing with my dad (Bubwalk, a member here) back when we were little squirts. I have no idea what our first fish were but maybe he remembers and will finish the story for me. I have so many fond memories of fishing and hunting with my father as a child. Memories I will never forget and cherish. That little picture under me screen name to the left is me fishing when I was much younger obviously.

edit: I just emailed my dad and asked him. here is what he said,

Rob,

As best I remember, you were just about 4 years old and I took you with me to the Loxahatchie Conservation Area just West of Boca Raton, FL. I got some worms and we fished the canal that runs around the Area. I think your first fish was a nice Bluegill. You were pretty excited and wanted to touch it, but not hold it.

That's what I recall,

Dad

Edited by Kickapooh

I do remember the first thirteen fish I caught at a local city park pond with my grandfather at age 5. I still find my self fishing that pond. Now after sum 55 years later still got it reel bad and go EVERY chance I can.:banana:but I leave the bannas at home

Edited by ncstriperman

aww....I just read the reply from your dad. Very nice :)

Bass_Honey, this is a great thread. Strange I hadn't seen it before. My younger brother Ben and I started fishing with my dad (Bubwalk, a member here) back when we were little squirts. I have no idea what our first fish were but maybe he remembers and will finish the story for me. I have so many fond memories of fishing and hunting with my father as a child. Memories I will never forget and cherish. That little picture under me screen name to the left is me fishing when I was much younger obviously.

edit: I just emailed my dad and asked him. here is what he said,

growing up in Bayou Country it was just a few steps from the nearest bayou, slough, ditch, swamp, marsh, river, lake, and not that far from the gulf...first story is the fish never caught with the guy I wanted to catch it with…story goes, as I don't remember…my Dad had bought a little wooden boat with a 18 hp outboard, outfitted it with a bunch of everything, fishing poles, a shrimp trawl, crawfish nets, and a nice browning auto shoot em up gun and a sack of dem plastic ducks...now Dad worked offshore with Haliburton and was going to use that boat a lot with his oldest and only son…that would be me…but he loaned the rig to a fellow oilfield worker whose schedule was opposite his, so as you can guess when Dad got back in, the lower unit was trashed on the outboard…among some other stuff…and his best friend turned out to be not so best, and not so friendly anymore, and broke…Dad was a impulsive guy….loaded up the boat with everything, except he missed the crawfish nets….sold the whole shebang...what did I get out of that? It is down right hard for me to lend out anything…I never went fishing with my Dad, not once. Crawfishing a few times. Grandpa probably turned me on to my first fish, I remember a few times hanging small hooks with rounded up bread balls just on the surface of the water teasing mullets with our cane poles….Grandpa didn't need no boat…and neither do I.It seems I grew up in a different world than what exists today, as a youngster, when the school day was over, chores done, I would put on the cowboy boots, reach for Daisy and some BBs, a cane pole and go critter getting, and world conquering.

thank you so much for sharing your story...I got a lump in my throat reading it.

growing up in Bayou Country it was just a few steps from the nearest bayou, slough, ditch, swamp, marsh, river, lake, and not that far from the gulf...first story is the fish never caught with the guy I wanted to catch it with…story goes, as I don't remember…my Dad had bought a little wooden boat with a 18 hp outboard, outfitted it with a bunch of everything, fishing poles, a shrimp trawl, crawfish nets, and a nice browning auto shoot em up gun and a sack of dem plastic ducks...now Dad worked offshore with Haliburton and was going to use that boat a lot with his oldest and only son…that would be me…but he loaned the rig to a fellow oilfield worker whose schedule was opposite his, so as you can guess when Dad got back in, the lower unit was trashed on the outboard…among some other stuff…and his best friend turned out to be not so best, and not so friendly anymore, and broke…Dad was a impulsive guy….loaded up the boat with everything, except he missed the crawfish nets….sold the whole shebang...what did I get out of that? It is down right hard for me to lend out anything…I never went fishing with my Dad, not once. Crawfishing a few times. Grandpa probably turned me on to my first fish, I remember a few times hanging small hooks with rounded up bread balls just on the surface of the water teasing mullets with our cane poles….Grandpa didn't need no boat…and neither do I.It seems I grew up in a different world than what exists today, as a youngster, when the school day was over, chores done, I would put on the cowboy boots, reach for Daisy and some BBs, a cane pole and go critter getting, and world conquering.

My first experience was with my dad and grandfather. I must of been 4 or 5, and they took me to one of the creeks feeding the Potomac. We were fishing from a dock and we caught a couple catfish and a yellow perch. I kept pulling the stringer out of the water to look at the fish, and of course I pulled it out one time to many, and dropped it. We kept fishing. There was a little row boat tied up and I ask my grandfather if I could could go on the boat, and he took me out and sat with me, we didn't untie or anything. I think we ended up catching 3 more fish, same thing, 2 catfish, and a perch. I don't remember if we took them home to eat or not.

Thanks for this thread, and bringing them back to mind. It's a great memory. My dad and I just talked about it in the last couple of months. 40+ years ago and it makes me smile. It's one of my most vivid memories as a little kid. And when my dad talks about his first trips as a kid, now 70+ years back, and I never tire hearing about his stories.

Thank you for sharing your story. :)

My first experience was with my dad and grandfather. I must of been 4 or 5, and they took me to one of the creeks feeding the Potomac. We were fishing from a dock and we caught a couple catfish and a yellow perch. I kept pulling the stringer out of the water to look at the fish, and of course I pulled it out one time to many, and dropped it. We kept fishing. There was a little row boat tied up and I ask my grandfather if I could could go on the boat, and he took me out and sat with me, we didn't untie or anything. I think we ended up catching 3 more fish, same thing, 2 catfish, and a perch. I don't remember if we took them home to eat or not.

Thanks for this thread, and bringing them back to mind. It's a great memory. My dad and I just talked about it in the last couple of months. 40+ years ago and it makes me smile. It's one of my most vivid memories as a little kid. And when my dad talks about his first trips as a kid, now 70+ years back, and I never tire hearing about his stories.