Sign in to follow this  
Bass_Honey

First fish?

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I was wondering what was the first fish YOU ever caught? Maybe a little back round story to go along with your reply.I'll start first! Back when I was a little girl (between maybe 8-10...don't remember the exact age but I bet my folks will) I went with my sister to a small pond behind a cemetery up the road from our house. Remember the days when it was safe for kids to go out exploring on their own? Anyway....away we went. We had balls of Wonder Bread for bait. We wanted to catch a fish SO bad...never once thinking what we would do with said fish if we did catch one! Well, we caught one. A sunny. I remember having my sister stand on his tail so I could "pull the hook" out of his mouth...not understanding that the harder I pulled the more "set" the hook became. We proudly walked out of the woods, through the cemetery and down the road to our house to show off our prized (prolly not bigger than 4 inches) catch. He was hanging from the line, flapping in the wind, when my Dad snapped a picture of my sister and I. I don't have the picture in my possession but my next trip to Jersey I'll have my mom dig it up so I can scan and post it.One of my most fondest memories.:)

Guest turtle

I can't remember my first fish but my first memories of fishing involve fishing with my dad in the late 50's or early 60's . I had a spinning rod and my favorite plug was a Creek Chub Darter in the jr. size . I caught a lot of smaller bass with that little plug . I can still find the full size Darters occasionally , but those smaller sized ones are rare . I haven't seen one in a long long time . we always used the dark green spotted ones, the frog color , in the larger sized darters with the concave belly but that little one I loved so much was a light green, baby bass color also with the concave belly . They were made of wood . I would love to find one .

I can't remember my first fish but my first memories of fishing involve fishing with my dad in the late 50's or early 60's . I had a spinning rod and my favorite plug was a Creek Chub Darter in the jr. size . I caught a lot of smaller bass with that little plug . I can still find the full size Darters occasionally , but those smaller sized ones are rare . I haven't seen one in a long long time . we always used the dark green spotted ones, the frog color , in the larger sized darters with the concave belly but that little one I loved so much was a light green, baby bass color also with the concave belly . They were made of wood . I would love to find one .

Thanks for replying, turtle. I was afraid this was going to be a dead topic. I love reading about special memories.

I can't remember my first fish either, but my first memories of fishing were with my dad. He mostly fished the small high mountain creeks and would sneak up on good looking holes and flip a grub he pulled from a rotten log in or float a small black gnat dry fly behind a red and white bobber for Rainbow's and Brookies. I think back now and remember how quiet and tranquil it was, those are some of my favorite fishing memories.Nathan M OwenSSGT USMC RETKatie Couric while interviewing a Marine Sniper, asked:"What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"The Marine shrugged and replied: "Recoil."

I remember fishing with my grandparents; guess I was 6 or 7 and as I remember everyone was catching except for this poor little feller. I believe we were catfishing on the river back in Kentucky. But I didn't give up however I remember getting so discouraged that I started crying cause my brother who is a year older was reeling them in one after another. Then finally my line got tight, the tip of my rod started twitching, I stopped crying and my heart started beating with excitement. I grabbed my rod and did exactly what I was watching everyone else do all day. I set that hook as hard as I could; Fish on finally so I thought. I fought that fish tugging it through the current, heart pounding faster and faster with every crank of the reel. Then finally out of that muddy water and into the net came a man's size 11 boot. Needless to say I didn't wet another line until I was 15 years old. Then one day my great uncle who was retired and lived on Norris lake chasing Rockfish every day took me out. He tough me how to through a cast net like a pro. After catching a livewell full of gizzard shad we took to trolling. That day I caught a 37lb 8oz Rockfish the first fish I ever caught and still the biggest to this day. True story.

I remember fishing with my grandparents; guess I was 6 or 7 and as I remember everyone was catching except for this poor little feller. I believe we were catfishing on the river back in Kentucky. But I didn't give up however I remember getting so discouraged that I started crying cause my brother who is a year older was reeling them in one after another. Then finally my line got tight, the tip of my rod started twitching, I stopped crying and my heart started beating with excitement. I grabbed my rod and did exactly what I was watching everyone else do all day. I set that hook as hard as I could; Fish on finally so I thought. I fought that fish tugging it through the current, heart pounding faster and faster with every crank of the reel. Then finally out of that muddy water and into the net came a man's size 11 boot. Needless to say I didn't wet another line until I was 15 years old. Then one day my great uncle who was retired and lived on Norris lake chasing Rockfish every day took me out. He tough me how to through a cast net like a pro. After catching a livewell full of gizzard shad we took to trolling. That day I caught a 37lb 8oz Rockfish the first fish I ever caught and still the biggest to this day. True story.

That's an awesome story! Thank you very much for sharing.

You had me on the edge of my seat with this one....then I read "size 11 boot".... I LOL'ed!! Thanks for a GREAT story!

I don't remember what my first fish was either. But it was probably some species of panfish or rough fish. I first started fishing when I was about 11 or 12. My father had no interest at all in fishing, and at first all my fishing was by myself or with a few boyhood friends. We had to walk about 2 miles one way across and through some steep hills to get to the little creek (Copper Creek in SW VA) that we fished, but we were young and that didn't discourage us. We only bank fished with redworms at that time.

My step-dad who could not swim took my brother and I out on a row boat about 150-200 feet off shore where we caught some perch. That was the only time he ever took us fishing. I was maybe 5-7?

Being born and raised in San Francisco, my first experience was salt water fishing. Mom and Dad use to take us kids all the time. My first fish was a shark. approx 2.5 ft long. Leopard shark. loved the fight with the fish and all the fresh air, i was hooked the rest of my life on fishing.

My dad started taking me fishing with him when I was 2 is what he told me, I can not remember that far back but I do remember playing with worms and minnows and playing in the dirt and throwing rocks in the water. I learned not to do that after being told to stop that from him, at least in our fishing spot. My first fish that I caught all by myself with no help from him was at the age of 4. He was on the right side of a farm pond and I was where we started fishing at with my small 2 foot rod with worms or night crawler cast on the bottom. I felt a tug and just started to reel in he set the hook himself (thanks) fish I was fighting the fish and yelled for my dad, probably something like this daddy,daddy daddy I got one I got one I got a fish come help me! He looked over at me and yelled back hold your rod up and let me see! He told me that I was just hung up and that he would be over there in a few min. just to hold my rod or lay it down, yeah right I was fighting a fish it jumped out of the water a time or two while I was reeling him in, got it to the edge of bank and just dragged it on up the bank away from the water. I did not want it to get away, by the time he got over there and seen me playing with the fish touching his eyes and stuff he was shocked to see that I had landed a fish that size by myself. He told me we were going to keep it and that he was going to have it mounted for me since it was my first fish all by myself. I was so proud of that fish, when we got home he called my grandfather and told him about the fish, he wanted us to bring it up to his house so he could se it. We lived next door to him I was carrying him with both hands by the mouth and the best I can remember I was having to hold his mouth chest high to keep his tail off the ground, remember a small 4 Y.O. kid. Enclosed is a picture of said fish. It was a large mouth 3lbs. 4oz. I have had a love for fishing and hunting ever since them.

Don't remember my first fish but have many memories fishing with my dad. Being the oldest of 3 boys my dad and I spent many days fishing in a 14 ft jon boat with a 5 hp motor on lakes. This 1 trip back in early 70's I remembered buying the fisrt version of the bettle spinner only had 2 choices of color at time white body and black with yellow stripe. My dad being the great bass fisherman he was said what the heck is that. You won't catch anything with that. Of course he had every new plugs and lures for that time. Nothing like what's out there now. We had been fishing since sun up and hadn't caught a thing. So I pulled out the beetle spinner and figured what the heck. Within 5 maybe 6 cast I hooked a monster when it broke the water dad just about crapped. lol Finally got him in and it was a 7lb large mouth. Soon as got him unhooked and put in cooler dad says give me the other beetle spinner. I said no way. You won't catch anything on it. Of course he got mad and I just laughed. We ended up catching a dozen or more that day. Never took pic s back then but we still talk about them once in awhile.

I love the stories about the Dad's taking their son's fishing. Very heartwarming. Growing up on the Jersey Shore my Dad used to take us kids out on the ocean to fish for fluke. Great times...

I honestly can't remember my first fish. I do remember a big carp on Chilhowee when I was about 5. I'm sure I caught a bluegill while we were camping before that. I just like to think about the time with Dad. We still do it, now with my 4 year old as a companion.

This is my Daughter's first fish at about 18 months:

Posted Image

A rainbow from the Little Doe, Carter County, Tennessee.

Cant recall what my first fish was (they didn't have cameras or written language back then). If I had to guess, I would say it was a trout from Henry's River in Fremont County, Idaho. My grandpa had a cabin there just south of the Montana border. We spent many a summer days throwing dare devils on mountain streams for wild trout. I was probably 2-3.

This is my Daughter's first fish at about 18 months:

Posted Image

A rainbow from the Little Doe, Carter County, Tennessee.

Cant recall what my first fish was (they didn't have cameras or written language back then). If I had to guess, I would say it was a trout from Henry's River in Fremont County, Idaho. My grandpa had a cabin there just south of the Montana border. We spent many a summer days throwing dare devils on mountain streams for wild trout. I was probably 2-3.[/quote

that has got to be about the cutest thing I have ever seen!!

I have created a lot of memories with all my girls & hope it goes both ways.

Great thread, My first was a small bluegill caught on a cane pole in my aunts farm pond while on vacation in South Carolina, not sure how many I caught that day but the biggest was a bass over 5 pounds...I still remember how mad I was when my aunt let it go....lol but I did get a great mess of gills that night