fishnfool

Fuel Treatment

I'm curious if most folks routinely add some sort of fuel treatment to their outboard fuel? 

I have a 1995 Johnson Fast Strike and was using Johnson brand treatment but my source is out of business, so I haven't been using anything recently except I did add some SeaFoam to the last tank.

Any info on the subject would be appreciated.

I add Stabil Marine fuel stabilizer any time I put gas in the boat (4 stroke Yamaha) and have never had trouble when the boat has sat for an extended period of time.  The newer engines (Yamaha at least) are made to run with ethanol but I try to use only non-ethanol if at all possible.  I'll occasionally add Yamaha Ring Free as well.  Always been a firm believer that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ($$$) !!

• Like 1

Would also suggest using 100% gas in any pre 2000 motors. The gas lines, tank, seals & all are not made to use the ethanol like all the newer motors.

Fishinfool I have a buddy with a Johnson 150 fast strike and that thing absolutely screams, might as well be a stock car. He doesn't use it much and has never had a single problem. It runs like it has rocket fuel in it

• Like 1

My 1985  28HP Johnson has been rebuilt once with a new head, but I always run the gas out by unplugging the gas line before putting it on the trailer.Unleaded gas has a certain smell as opposed to leaded. I have noticed that smell, even with unleaded, maybe the gas station operators are selling unleaded for leaded. Those "attendants" with the foreign accent seem to  run those , so just be aware.  dada 3-10-15  1:48 PM

I believe Seafoam is more for carbon removal.  That's what I use it for, anyway.  

100% gas when I can find it and Stabil Marine Formula is what I use.  Same goes for my lawnmowers, saws and string trimmers.  I've got a 45 year old Poulan chain saw that starts after 4 or 5 pulls, so I know Stabil works.

100% gas and stabil marine formula in all my 2 strokes, Mercury outboard, chain saws, weed eaters, blower, etc...I've been using it for awhile and believe in it. You might want to look at some online product comparisons.

• Like 1

Outbaord engines have been designed to accept ethanol since the late 80s.  The aftermarket stuff is where you sometime run into problem, and improper care.

Ethanol enriched fuels are no problems if your using your boat and your fuel system is in proper condition.  Ethanol becomes a problem when it is saturated with water and the fuel itself breaks down faster.  When you see fuel lines breaking down from the inside that is usually not from ethanol alone, as ethanol absorbs moisture out of the air and its that mixture that becomes very corrosive.  This can be prevented by proper maintenance.

The J/E 2+4 fuel conditioner that you have been using is some really good stuff and my top pick regaurdless of what engine your running.  If it takes you more than 30 days to go through a tank of gas you absolutely should be running some sort of stabilizer.  And you must plan ahead because adding a stabilizer to already stale fuel doesn't do any good.  Yamaha makes a good product, so does startron, and Stabil.

Moving down here from Chicago Ethanol free fuels have never been an option living up north.  In fact I am fairly young still and don't ever remember being able to by ethanol free fuel up there.  So ethanol being the only option there was never a debate and our engines would run just fine.  I guess its just what your used to.

Edited by HONDAM
  • Like 2

I use ring free in every gallon i use in my outboards. When If Im not using the  boat for thirtty days or more ( not very often) I will add marine  stabil. also in my Mowers.  I run a can of seafoam in my vehicles at least once a year. ron

• Like 1

At 1.6 mpg, fuel never stays in my boat long enough to be a problem.  :tongue:

We ran around on Boone a week or so ago.  Started with a full tank, estimated the mileage, filled it up and did the math.  One of these days, I'm going to make a long sustained run without stopping, track it on the Lowrance, and get an accurate calculation. 

One of my best friends is having a 37' Freeman catamaran built.  It will have quad Yamaha 300's pushing it.  And it will get 1.1 mpg.  Compared to my single engine jet, that's pretty good.  No one ever said jets were efficient.

Edited by TNKen
  • Like 2

Hondam, I also moved from Chicago (Harvey) & never found pure gas. However, when E-85 came out, my son filled up his 95 Chevy & got 3/4 of the way, huffing & puffing, then he had to fill up with 10% gas. It was like adding a couple more cylinders. He said he would never again use that (%$#@) E-85. By the way, Dollar tree now sells some stuff that says ethanol additive. I don't know what it is. Any info? dada 6-9-15 12:35 PM