Opry99er

Water pump rebuild

Welp, I'm a boat owner bow, so time to start acting like one. :)

Got a "well-loved" 1985 30 horse Johnson that needs a new impellor. I figured while I was in there, I might as well do a water-pump rebuild, since the rebuild kit is only $15-$20 more than the impellor by itself. Found a few online that are made for my motor, here's the best one at the best price I could find.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271784433226?_mwBanner=1

Looks complete and fairly straight forward. I've done quite a few carburetor rebuilds and lawnmower maintenance, so I can't imagine working on an older boat motor is all that different.

Looking at the parts in this rebuild kit, I can't imagine the whole thing taking more than an hour or two to take apart and replace the gaskets, washers, impellor, etc.

Now this will be my first attempt at working on a watercraft motor, so what kind of advice should I be seeking from those who know the business of outboard repair? Anything I should do while I'm in there? I know when working on a mower, it's customary to do a blow-out of all the lines and such if you have to disassemble the motor. On older cars, always replace the 20 year old clutches if you have the tranny off, etc...

Thanks for any advice and help ahead of time.

I'm no mechanic, but I've done quite a bit of wrenching in my time.

Edited by Opry99er

I'll be looking up some how-to instructables and watching some videos... It is my hope to become uber familiar with the motor, as it's a member of the family now. :)

One thing you should do before you rebuild the water pump is get a manual for your motor or find out the torque specs online for the water pump housing bolts. Use a torque wrench when reassembling the pump. Plastic housings are easy to distort if you tighten them down too much and it can cause the gasket seal to fail. Also be sure to grease the new impeller before putting the housing back on.

• Like 2

My 1985 -28 Johnson. Installed 1st time water pump & forgot to replace the half-round plastic part by pump.  Then, didn't get the copper water  line into the rubber hose right under the motor. Didn't tighten the shifter rod correctly & it slipped apart.  After 4 attemps, got it running right.  Larry says to get a manual- He knows about these things.  You should not have a problem ONCE YOU CHANGED A WATER PUMP---dada 3-9-15  9:42 AM

Good advice there, I bet dada's motor is just like yours. I just pay someone 75$ because I can mess up what I'm working on and even more haha. Also I have a torque wrench if you need to borrow one

Thanks Rusty. Thanks dada and Larry.

Yea, I learned when taking apart the Borg Warmer T4 transmission on an old 83 F150 I used to own that it really pays to have complete diagrams and documentation when working on something new. :)

It is also crucial to take pictures during the disassembly process and put color-tape on components that go back together.

I'll be doing it the right way for sure. As a 22 year old, I just tore into crap. As a 32 year old now, I have no desire to bang my head against a wall anymore. :)

Good advice, plastic & rubber parts are very torque specific.  Grease the new impellar & housing when re-installing & be careful when slipping the old one off cause your new impellar may or may not come with the "key" that holds it into place so make sure to hold on to it just in case.  YouTube should give u a few good videos.  Good Luck

The internet will walk you thru , some are sharp, some not so much, but there should be more than one video willing to help.  dada 3-9-15  5:48 PM

Wholesale Marine .com has very reasonable prices. They sell water pump kits with all the parts or just some, depending on the extent of the repair needed. Also...You tube has some very good tutorials that will walk you step by step through the disassembly and assembly of the repair. Hope this has been some help, good luck.

If your not real clear on the first time it may be worth paying someone to do the work with you there to watch. They can point out things for you to pay attention to next time when you do the work.  Just a thought.

I think the hardest part will be removing the lower unit and putting it back on

I agree with Rusty on this. Replacing the water pump itself is fairly simple. Getting the lower unit back in right can be tricky. That's another reason to get a manual before starting. RTillett's idea of paying someone to do it the first time and watching also has merit. An even better idea would be to get a buddy that knows how to do it to help you for free. cool_shades.gif

Edited by LarryMc
  • Like 1

I really believe strongly in supporting the local businesses.  Especially since your a new boat owner, you will have many questions.  If you go into a shop and buy some parts while asking questions they will be able to help you better and develop a report with them. 

That engine has the shift linkage in a really weird spot, behind the intake screens.  That should be disconnected first.

Make sure to change the lower unit grease, make sure there is no water in it.

Edited by HONDAM
  • Like 1

Thanks HONDAM. I appreciate the input. I think i may just take the boat to the local(ish) shop in Cookeville and ask a few questions. Makes sense when i think about it.

Much obliged. :)

All very good advice. I am not sure about that motor but on my 90 merc it is pretty simple and straight forward. The hardest part for me was getting it back in and the bolts started. Helped to have an extra hand. Yours is much smaller and a lot lighter so you should be good. When you drain and fill that lower unit make sure you pump the grease in from the bottom up. I believe you can do it! If I can about anyone can.

I would take it to a boat mechanic, i tryed replacing mine water pump in a johnson 25 hp last year and ended up unscrewing a bolt that wasnt supposed to be unscrewed.  Long story short, I had to take it to a mechanic to put the guts back into place on the lower unit, replacing seals, etc.  Costed me alot trying to save a little money.

I think the hardest part will be removing the lower unit and putting it back on

Rusty, it sounds like you and I are alike when it comes to working on something.  Another pair of hands 

would come in handy, sometimes.  Nothing like lining up the holes and spline shaft, turning the propeller

and starting a bolt all at the same time.