Sign in to follow this  
ProTek

Creating Cover

Is it legal to create cover in your waters by anchoring piles of tree tops, Christmas trees, and even rock piles in your waters? If so, then I would do it and mark those spots on GPS.

These piles can attract fish and you can use them to your advantage. Let's say you are a crappie angler and make some piles, but those piles attract another species. That could lessen up predatory pressure on a nearby crappy spot. It could take multiple piles to do so...but it can and does effect patterns/spots. It can be an advantage for those fishing the piles too.

We've done it for bass with great sucess. We'd even use timber/logs and such we find on the shoreline. We'd be cleaning up the shoreline at the same time. I love heavy cover!

Keep in mind that the piles and such have to be anchored deep enough to not pose any risk to lower units and such when the water is low. They have to be anchored. I like to use a rock because it's natural. We tie our treetops and Christmas trees together and drop them in clumps of 3. A few clumps in an area the size of a 10 x 10 to 20 x 20 area work great. 

Rock piles...we put in spots where the waters warm up faster due to the sun during the day. The rocks hold heat longer and fish will find these warm spots.

Again, is it legal in your water or not? If not...find and mark the natural spots. Especially rocky areas up in the tributaries and near the outlets of these tributaries.

I can't stress this enough. Ask the officials and be sure before planting any cover anywhere....if it's legal in your waters and you decide to do this...then be sure to anchor them well and legally as to not pose any threat to people, boats, or fish at any time of the year. The last thing you want to hear is that somebody drowned after getting thrown from their boat because they hit structure that you may have planted. Maybe there is already a like system being done...if so, I'd be in on that!

Please share your thoughts and any information you have on this.

Thanks,

Jamey

• Like 1

Thanks. It would be worth the approval even though it would let others know where you are putting them. I would set some smaller ones up as decoys too.

Sent from my Nova Primed Galaxy S5 using the Tapatalk forum app.

Bfish,  Could not  bring up your info (my computer?) but heres mine. Years ago, we helped TWRA put out hundreds of Christmas trees on Norris as attractors. For 2 days, we found out that wardens do more than check licenses. They worked their rears off , same as us volunteers. They put these in areas where they were  not endangering boaters.  However,  they also told me that one owner of lakefront property (before the big ash spill by TVA) was ticketed because he cut down some trees down the bank towards the water, causing a hazard, otherwise, they appreciated those fishermen who places attractors  to help the fishing.   dada 2-8-15   9:38 AM

• Like 1

Twra did that in a cove on Cherokee a few years back also I do not know how many trees they put in there but it was a bunch. I know of people that put stuff out and they do not have permission. One of the biggest downsides to putting things out here is unless you put it in 30' of water or more when they lower the lakes people see the spots and then go fish them. It is hard to find and have a honey hole to your self for too long. 

TWRA has a ton of fish attractors on Boone. 

Realize that when the dams were formed, trees were cleared within the rise/fall zones.  In the beds of most of the lakes there is still standing timber.  On Boone, most winters will get it within about 60' of the surface.  Right now, it would be a lot closer.  Would love to drop a camera in some right now to see what its holding.

Here on Watts Barr we don't have the big drop you all have on those upper reservoirs and its easy to put out the brush and twra doesn't mind, I don't think because they have seen me putting  brush piles out in the past and never said anything and lots of others put them out everywhere because all the old timber and stumps from the damming are gone.  All the old trees that I fished growing up are still there they just aren't anything left just like the big rows of stump beds that have gone away,  so really I think they need to be lots more put out because haven't seen twra put out any new brush  here in years

Not that this is a factor now with the lake levels what they are, but my dad has built +/- 12 docks on Boone in the last couple of years and is putting cover under every single one of them. This forum goes great with the one that ProTek put up about fishing docks. He shared this link,

• Like 1

I put out brush every year for crappie. TWRA  allows it IF it is not in the boating areas where you would hit it with the prop. However, they ticketed a waterfront owner ( down from the ash spill  area) for dropping his large  trees into the channel years ago that was out 25-50 feet from the bank. Back in coves seems to be a good area to make your own "Honey Hole".   dada 6-13-15  9:10 AM

On 9/20/2015 at 5:20 PM, ghutch said:

I didn't see anything in their guidelines for hanging xmas trees onto docks.  Anyone know if this is a problem or not?

I used to put out brush where l fish, but fishermen would watch me so l started putting it out at night. But l guess with electronics now they can find them anytime.

I have planted cover before, though not in this state. You have the right idea, do it at night or during this time of year, less people on the water. And plant it in deeper water for draw downs. GPS your spots too. And I found out the hard way, it takes more weight to weigh down your cover than you think.