Sign in to follow this  
gd77punk

punisher craft hair

Question

I've completely given up on buck tail. Might as well be fishing with a wire brush IMO. I like using punisher craft hair but the only place locally I know to find it is at Sloans in Vonore. Is there anywhere closer to ktown that carries it?

Edited by gd77punk

Help me out guys.  In tying crappie jigs I've tried faux or craft fur in the past but have been disappointed .  It's too fine, and matts when wet.  Is the craft fur mentioned above somehow different from the craft fur I've purchased at Bass Pro?

I have gotten some of that at BP and I can't remember the brand.  I do know though on some of it you really have to clean it after you cut it as it seems like you say pretty thin and takes more on the jig/fly.  Been pretty happy with the Edgemoore stuff.

According to their website the punisher doesn't get wet but that's not true. Its wet and mats outside of water but moves very well when in the water. I don't have as much fouling as I get with marabou. It does have shorter and longer fibers, you will need to clean it some. Aside from puglisi brushes, I've not found the material I didn't have to clean up some...

The biggest reason I was looking specifically for punisher is I have not tried any other brand and was happy with the results of what I had. If it ain't broke...

Help me out a little bit more guys.  When you say you clean the craft fur, what exactly do you mean?  Please explain.  It sounds as if you use some sort of soap or cleanser/chemical to remove some unwanted residue from the fur.

A comb will do, no soap or water necessary. I start at the top, and like a barber, pull up a strip roughly 1/8" wide by 1-2" long, and work my way across. I tend to cut them off as close to the patch as possible, so as to not leave any behind. Pinch the far end from where you cut, at the minimum length you need (short and long fibers) and comb the fuzz and short stuff out. Hope this helped