Sign in to follow this  
gd77punk

punisher craft hair

Question

I've completely given up on buck tail. Might as well be fishing with a wire brush IMO. I like using punisher craft hair but the only place locally I know to find it is at Sloans in Vonore. Is there anywhere closer to ktown that carries it?

Edited by gd77punk

I hear Toms in Morristown has craft fur.  If I drive over there this afternoon I will let you know.  I gotta have some grey hair for fnf  jigs.  Grey is my base color and I have not been able to fiind it.  Been having to tie w/ duck feathers all this week.

Thanks dloveday! Its still a haul from north Knox but if nothing else, another tool in the box.

Off topic, your not the only dloveday I know. You kin to D.G. Loveday?

Edited by gd77punk

I've completely given up on buck tail. Might as well be fishing with a wire brush IMO. I like using punisher craft hair but the only place locally I know to find it is at Sloans in Vonore. Is there anywhere closer to ktown that carries it?

In a pinch I have taken lighter colors and used a permanent marker to shade them just let it dry real good it'll last a little while before it starts to fade

-Psalm 82:4-

I'm out of white and low on olive. The magic marker does work though, sometimes I use it on thread when I need two colors instead of using two different spools. I also use a highlighter on some of my soft hackles to get a light green but not quite chartreuse look

• Like 1

The craft fur at Tom's is pretty short and difficult to use IMO.  Bass Pro has a much better (longer) selection that's easier to use and looks great.  You also might want to check out Hobby Lobby in K'ville.  They have a great selection of colors and although the length is not quite as good as the Extra Select available at BP, you get a very large piece for a fairly good price.

Well I gotta go to green acres in the morning . I'm just going to shoot on down to vonore from there since I'll be so close. Thanks for the replies all

I gave up the local search, just ordered it directly from the website. $7 to ship two patches of hair!!

Kethcmo, I looked on eBay and didn't find any but I'll check the link as I'll probably be needing more before too long.

Nice Clousers , why you so down on bucktail. I use it on my smallmouth jigs all the time, seems to work fine ?  just wonderin  :cheer:

Movement is the difference. Every little twitch, the slightest current (I'm more of a river and stream guy) brings it to life. The buck is stiff by comparison. I have never caught anything on traditional clousers, and not for lack of effort.

I ain't knocking it, I know it works. But for some reason it just hasn't worked for me.

Now that being said, I am plotting a trip to the headwaters of Cherokee lake to get after some hybrids soon. Hopefully I'll be fishing with Vaflyguy again, if our schedules jive, and he ties a fly with Bucktail that he has had a lot of success with. Though I was skunked last year I won't turn my nose up at his pattern this year.

http://tennesseeanglers.com/forums/topic/4088-a-day-too-late/?hl=vaflyguy

• Like 1

Beauties. Slap on a thing a mabob and you've got the classic "f&f" setup. I may hit Holston tomorrow if you wanna try em out

That sounded like an offer.

I have the Kidd this weekend otherwise I'd brave the cold and take ya up on it. Never did fnf but I'm always willing to learn new tricks. She wants to take a cruise through the mountains. She's always been a great kid but lately she has been above and beyond. Helping out without being asked kinda stuff. How can I refuse?

Thanks oregon. I never thought to call them. I'm probably good for the rest of the year but I'll put them "on the map".

I've not been up there in a few years. Do they still sell the flies that kid ties? He might not be a kid anymore.