fishnfool

Battery Blew Up

Nothing like being awakened at 230 in the morning by a battery exploding in your garage!  (Actually it just blew the fill caps off very violently).  I assume it was just a result of the battery being 4 years old and gasses building up during charging but I wanted to be sure I have my on board charger connected correctly.

I recently converted from a 12 volt trolling motor to a 24 volt and reconfigured the 2 TM batteries from parallel to series using a jumper between the 2 batteries.  I reconnected the onboard charger to each battery the same way that they were connected when I was running 12 volt.  I've charged the batteries a few times previously with no apparent problem until the battery blew last night.

My question is whether I have my charger connected correctly or if I should have it connected differently since it's a 24 volt system now.

• Like 1

I melted an onboard charger on a 24v system once. I don't like 24v but I kind of need it(might rethink that) but what I do now is just disconnect the batteries and take them inside to charge them. The onboard charger gets insanely hot anytime you hook it up and there is black ooze dripping out. All that being said a battery can explode at any moment regardless of how it is charged or being charged. I was in wal mart the other day and a battery that was just sitting on the shelf exploded, not charging or anything

• Like 1

Nothing like being awakened at 230 in the morning by a battery exploding in your garage! (Actually it just blew the fill caps off very violently). I assume it was just a result of the battery being 4 years old and gasses building up during charging but I wanted to be sure I have my on board charger connected correctly.

I recently converted from a 12 volt trolling motor to a 24 volt and reconfigured the 2 TM batteries from parallel to series using a jumper between the 2 batteries. I reconnected the onboard charger to each battery the same way that they were connected when I was running 12 volt. I've charged the batteries a few times previously with no apparent problem until the battery blew last night.

My question is whether I have my charger connected correctly or if I should have it connected differently since it's a 24 volt system now.

it depends on the charger bar and and model number. My guest charger I can run my 24v system the way you did and it says to in the manual. On the guest charger with a different model than mine it states to not run them like that and to run them seperatly by taking the jumper wires off. I would look up your charger model and try to find an online guide. If you have a guest charger I have a guide I can send you. In the manual I have it says that with one of the models to not run a 24 system with that charger at all.

Thanks for the advice. Mine is a Dual Pro 10x2. Just checked their website and it appears it should work on 12 or 24 but I will call them tomorrow to confirm that. BTW upon further inspection the top of the battery did bust out...and I still can't find one of the fill caps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always remove the caps when charging.  Just been a rule of thumb growing up as Dad always did it.  I like the Minn Kota chargers as they have a temp sensor that shuts down the charge if getting too hot.  Sounds like you have the batteries wired correctly by converting from 12v to 24v. 

I always remove the caps when charging. Just been a rule of thumb growing up as Dad always did it. I like the Minn Kota chargers as they have a temp sensor that shuts down the charge if getting too hot. Sounds like you have the batteries wired correctly by converting from 12v to 24v.

I always did that too and would add water when the acid level got low but guess I stopped when batteries became "maintenance free".

I always did that too and would add water when the acid level got low but guess I stopped when batteries became "maintenance free".

My bad, when you said (Actually it just blew the fill caps off very violently).  I assumed they were not "maintenance free" .....Wish I had a better answer for the situation.  Maybe the charger didn't shut of and over charged the batteries.

Now I'm confused.  The deep cycle marine batteries I have came from WalMart (see pic).  They indicate they are maintenance free but they do have fill caps.  I had decided the caps weren't removable so I've never tried to check the acid level in them or vent them while charging.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether you can/should attempt to open/check/vent batteries like these?

Thanks in advance.

post-899-0-50006300-1420558765.jpg

Jeff, Your new battery has caps as well.  Like many things in life, the term “maintenance-free†is only partially true. Lead-acid batteries normally consume some of the water in their dilute sulfuric acid electrolyte during a normal charge-discharge cycle. It actually electrolyzes into hydrogen and oxygen and escapes as gas. So adding water periodically is necessary to keep the plates flooded. Maintenance-free batteries use a calcium alloy of lead instead of an antimony alloy, which reduces the amount of electrolysis. In addition, the amount of free-standing electrolyte above the plates is designed to be much higher in a new maintenance-free battery. This means that there’s enough electrolyte to keep the plates covered even after a few seasons of normal use. So, during the battery’s normal service life there should be no need to add water. Any abnormal electrical system condition or high ambient temperatures may boil off more than the normal amount of water, however. Adding water may extend the service life of these supposedly maintenance-free batteries.

• Like 2

For future reference I would stay away from ever start or should I say don't ever start. They took there warranty off of deep cycle batteries. I believe it is now only 3 month warranty on deep cycle. Or was it 30 days. Either way I would run away. For the money acdelco voyager batteries are great.

Never mix 12 and 24 volt systems.  If your running a 12/24 or 24 volt trolling motor the ONLY things that should be connected to those batteries is the charger and the trolling motor.  Do not hook live wells, lights, fishfinders, or anything else to one battery that is part of a 24 volt system.

NMEA installation standards do not allow this because it can cause all sorts of problems.

• Like 3

For future reference I would stay away from ever start or should I say don't ever start. They took there warranty off of deep cycle batteries. I believe it is now only 3 month warranty on deep cycle. Or was it 30 days. Either way I would run away. For the money acdelco voyager batteries are great.

i haven't replaced the batteries yet. Where can you buy them in the Maryville/Knoxville area?

Only place I know of to get the acdelco are thru a general motors dealer. The ac Delco mf27 usually runs me about $90 each. Good battery tho. Acadamy sports carries a house brand that I have heard are good and have seen them on sale at times for a good deal.

• Like 1

Yeah any GM dealer can get you AC delco deep cycle marine batteries. I work for a GM dealer and used them briefly (2 years at most) because of getting them at cost and ease of replacement , which is true in my situation but had so much trouble with them I quit using them. I have deka now and they are about ready for replacement , 6 years old .

Good winter time topic...

I need to tend to my batteries, they were new last summer…boat hasn't seen much action with them….which is going to change soon….

Thought I would share a few things….

I worked with a lot of electrical configurations over the years in a few different settings….auto, marine, aircraft, ships….AC and DC….

AC will grab you and shake you to death, or throw you across a rudder room in August in dripping wet clothes if you carelessly believe the guy standing next to you who said the 440 triple phase with enough current to be hooked up in a rudder room of a container ship was off as you hooked up the clamp over AC amp meter….

Now DC….battery style….one word….BOMB….like a NASA rocket….great when it does what we want it to….spectacular when it does what it wants to….

How about a big battery bank…..to throw lightning bolts…..to magnetize a 40 foot joint of oil field casing…..

But, just in case someone on here hasn't got a first person account of a common size  auto battery exploding in someones face…..here is one for you to take warning….

I had a 74 Monte Carlo with a battery with a cracked post (internally……) didn't really figure that out till later…..all I knew if I shook the cable….knocked on the post…..the starter would sometimes spin and the car would start…..bad stuff….

So, I was at a gas station and had a stranger sitting behind the wheel with instructions to turn the key when I said so….this idiot, the one typing right now was holding an open end combo wrench most likely a craftsman, and I would guess 7/16 or half inch in my right hand striking the battery post….real crazy stuff…...

I heard a big boom, I felt a big push, a hot burning liquid on my face and chest, it felt like my right hand was gone, and maybe the wrench was in my forehead…..and my eyes and chest were burning real bad…..and as the service station manager was freaking out…..I was telling him what would happen if he didn't hose me off with water real soon….and by the way….was my right hand still there?

I survived after a good hosing down….the battery had a hole in the side of it that you could put your fist in…..it blew out the side, not the top…..blast hit the inside of the fender and dispersed in all directions, my eyes were luckily above the hood which was raised at about a 45 degree angle...

Be careful with batteries….

Some ideas….

Inspect, anything loose can cause problems…..a loose post is a throwaway….a dry battery is a problem, an overfilled battery is a problem…..battery gases in an enclosed space also occupied by sparks is a problem , too…..

with all things electronic or electrical, I learned that there are two basic sometimes related killers to the system…..over voltage and over temperature…..

Over voltage or under voltage…at its simplest…..follow the instructions to hook up properly….keep it simple, for the least amount of potential problems…..such as only trolling motor and charger on those batteries….(to hook up more things on here and keep a balanced system would take more effort than its worth, but, it is possible, just not worth the trouble or the expense (expense in short run or long run of replacing batteries before their time)….hard sometimes to fight the temptation due to weight of adding a possible 4 battery to a small boat…..but, it is what it is….

Lately I have been pointing my infrared temperature sensor at all sorts of things….get a baseline for normal operation temperatures and then….not so normal temperatures…..so, I guess I am throwing this out that a few seconds to point that red beam at your charging batteries might give some insight when things are not quite right….they are cheap now, and are useful for all kinds of applications…..I got my first one to point at my tires when on road trips….instead of getting around the truck and touching the tires to tell if any tires where having any problems….amazing what temp of what you are looking at will tell you….

and any electronic box that too hot to touch and is oozing... is…..already broken

and take your rings off when connecting batteries….

• Like 4