Opry99er

First Trolling Motor

Hey all.  Buying my first trolling motor in a month or two.  Don't know how much juice I need, what voltage, shaft length, etc.  Because it will be for my newly acquired raft, I'm guessing I can get away with the minimums, but I don't want to blindly assume.

Here's the raft, got it wrapped and ready to go for tomorrow's festivities.  The boy is gonna flip out...

Untitled.jpg

Anyway, I can buy the trolling motor mount for about $25 online.

-font-b-INTEX-b-font-68624-font-b-motor-

The raft rides very high in the water so I don't believe I will need much extra shaft length, so that's one issue I'm "assuming" isn't going to be an issue.

It is light, so I'm thinking I won't need a big 70 pound 24 volt system.

What about the cheapo setup from WalMart?  Endura 30:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Minn-Kota-Endura-C2-30-lb.-Thrust-Trolling-Motor-with-30-Shaft/15686718

This one is on sale for $100 right now at Wal Mart here in Cookeville.  Do you think this will be enough to move us around at a decent clip, trolling cranks and tubes?

If that will suffice, what battery would you recommend to a guy on a budget?  We're going to be using it about 4-5 hours at a time, rarely if ever more than that.  Much of that 4-5 hours will be trolling, but probably 20% of it will be parked, vertical jigging using sonar.

I'm a novice here, so any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Opry99er

The 30 will push a small raft fine under perfect conditions, but I wouldn't want to get too far from land on windy days. As far as a battery, whatever brand you get make sure it's sealed since you will be taking it out of the raft often. If you get a vented battery, sooner or later you will spill battery acid on something. Probably yourself.

• Like 1

As LarryMc says, don't Expect it to plane out your raft, but I have a 30 on my FG  14' seymoor boat that  pushes it fast enough for any trolling. You may want to avoid full speed for long times since the wiring MAY burn out as it did on mine once. Batteries  for trolling are usually 1 year guarantee, but I find a car battery is free replacement  for 2 years & 5 year prorated for most. You just don't run one down all the way as  a deep-cycle battery  is intended for.  A battery box  would be my choice for a raft in the standard size.   dada 12-24 14   4:50 PM

I have the endura 30, have had it for 5-6 years and it was the same price at wal mart back then. Still works like it's brand new, it pushes my 14 ft semi fast enough to ski fully charged!! Well not that fast but you know

The batteries at walmart deep cycle will do you fine.  Get you a battery box w/lid and I recommend a small piece of plywood to set the battery/box on.  You can take a pool noodle cut a slice down it and put it around the plywood piece to protect the raft.  Use the battery strap tie down for better stability.  On any small watercraft always stay close proximity to the shore.  Safety first.  Best wishes and put that boy on some fish....

Okay, dada mentioned a car battery....  I can build a battery box for a car battery...  Amp hours going to be any different?  Car batteries are cheaper and easier to find, and if we're only out for 4-5 hours at any given time, would this be a solution?  Hell, I have an extra car battery sitting around that's fairly new anyway....

rusty, you say the Endura 30 does well for you?  How heavy is your boat loaded?  Does it sit high or low?

I don't need to fly, but I would like to be able to move quickly in the water...  There are some small lakes up here that I'm REALLY excited to start fishing and I don't want to spend 20-30 minutes putt-putting over to the good spots.  Since I'm a greenie on trolling motors and such, I just don't know what to expect.

oldmont_zps2ba24b9d.jpg

canecreek_zps8cfbc428.jpg

newmont_zps5b64dd69.jpg

meadowpark_zps0114a2c9.jpg

These are our first targets...

Edited by Opry99er

Car batteries are not the same and it will kill the battery life very fast. Get a deep cycle or even a dual purose battery. You can get a good deep cycle for about $80+ if you look around. Acadamy sporto had some on sale a while back at a good price. As for the motor a 30 will do you ok. A 36-40 even better. I don't know if they are junk or not but you can get an off brand 80lb with 36" shaft on ebay for $130 shipped. I am considering trying one of these for my next small craft. They have great reviews.

Had a 30/30 endura on a canoe, should be more than enough power for that raft.  May also want to look at watersnake trolling motors.  

Group 24 or 27 deep cycle battery will work great.  Might want to check out wheelchair batteries too. As they are smaller but still made for recharging (just be sure they are 12 volts, some are 6).  Car battery will work, however it won't hold up to the deep withdrawl and lots of recharging. 

Thanks guys. I've learned alot in this thread.

I'll look for a used 50lb thrust on Craigslist... Maybe I can find a motor/battery combo for cheap, but it's unlikely.

No car battery, get a marine battery, put it in a box, plywood bottom, noodles to insulate the raft from the board.

30 lb will work, but 36-40+ is better. Stay near shore.

Wealth of knowledge here... I appreciate it.

I would go wth the 30, more thrust will kill the battery faster in exchange for like .25 mph increase in speed. Just my opinion, 30 is more than enough for a raft

Opry, I enjoyed Buck  opening the raft, Also, the  lazer info & pictures. Hope our military is the only ones with those secrets!  dada  12-25-14  9:40 PM

Somehow, I received a bunch of videos about the "secret" lazer weapons after Buck opened his raft.   dada  12-26=14   7:55PM