Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

Sabiki rigs for shad

I have heard of people catching bait shad with sabiki rigs.  I know that cast nets are the preferred way.  Just wondering if anyone has tried catching them on hook and line?

I had a similar question not too long ago. Most folks prefer the cast net for shad, but the Sabiki is deadly on skipjack from what I've read.

This is not personal experience, but plenty of YouTube vids and articles will tell you the same.

• Like 1

Yes it does work but can be slow at times. I use this method seasonally, but cast net most of the time.

• Like 1

I've been told by some very good striper fisherman that Sabiki Rigs work well on Alewive Shad.  Like Ezell said, it would be a slow way of getting bait, but I guess if you are on a big school of bait and stripers, this might be a good quick option.  The other issue is the number of hooks on a Sabiki Rig.  You might have to take a few hooks off depending on the laws in your area. 

• Like 1

Tennessee made an exception for Sabiki rigs.  And, its not slow if you are getting them 3 at a time!!!

Have gotten a few gizzards and threadfins on sabiki rigs.  But I've never tried for those either.  The quality of bait is greatly improved over those from a cast net. 

Edited by TNKen
  • Like 2

Thanks all.   Just the kind of professional answers that I have come to expect.  Think we are gonna try it if nothing is flipping on top.  Will report back! :reeling

sabiki rigs work great for alewives. i have never tried this time of year but during the summer at night under the lights you can fill a bait tank in no time . i just wish there was striper in south holston lake to use them on but the flat head catfish love them live. the smaller the hook size the better i use # 3 thats japanese hook size its like a 14 or 16 regular hook i think. i have got some nice crappie on them tiny hooks while catching shad

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2