Sign in to follow this  
Skinnywater

Bow Mount Trolling Motor Installation

I have a 1650 Lowe Roughneck.  I purchased a Minnkota Edge bow mount trolling motor and need advice with installation.  The trolling motor came with (6) 1/4" x 20 x 2" bolts with washers and lock nuts.  The way my boat is designed there is no access underneath to put on the washers and nuts.  I'm assuming the only way to mount it would be to use self tapping screws or toggle bolts but I am concerned about the strength, and toggle bolts require drilling large holes.  These are commonly put on these boats so there must be an easy way that is strong.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  I have attached a picture of my boat and trolling motor.

post-614-0-95846500-1407538664.jpg

post-614-0-62165400-1407538677.jpg

I installed a flush mount access cover to get under the nose. The factory access was not large enough to get my arm in. This also gave me additional storage for extra life jacket, cast net, etc. Doesn't affect the strength of the nose at all. Cover screws on & off with o-ring gasket to keep water out. Solved my problem.

post-19-0-90603000-1407549947_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the response dbltrkr.  Your way would definitely work but I was hoping to avoid drilling a large hole in my boat.  The picture of my boat I attached is not entirely accurate because there is a factory access on the front of the deck with an o ring gasket.  When I removed the gasket there is a small gap, about an inch wide, the whole way across leading up to where the trolling motor will be mounted.  It is literally impossible to use that access to mount the trolling motor.  I just want to avoid having two six inch holes with gaskets on the front of my boat.  I am considering using 1/4" diameter rivets.  Do you think they will be strong enough?  I have attached a picture showing the location of the access hole in my boat, which is useless for mounting a trolling motor.   I'm guessing that is a plug for a light on the very front of the boat in this picture.  You can ignore that because mine does not have lights yet.  My boat is identical to the one in the first picture I posted, except it has the access hole in the same area as this picture.  

post-614-0-27022500-1407675132.png

I don't have the knowledge to post pictures, but on my  boat, I used a 4x4 (in front of your paddle), attached with angle brackets to the platform.   then, I simply screwed the  base of the trolling motor to it. Make sure it will clean the front end when  used.  dada 8-10-14    9:05 AM

The MinnKota edge I just installed on my bass boat takes a lot of force to deploy. I'd make sure you have a pretty sturdy mount so you don't end up throwing the tm in the lake.

Like Peck said...make sure you have a solid mount. I didn't want to cut a hole in my nose either, but it was the best option. I would be hesitant to use pop rivets, not sure they would hold up. There may be a layer of marine grade plywood under the aluminum skin of your nose as there was in mine. If you can verify this you could pilot drill, add silicone, then use the proper size lag bolts for a solid mount. I thru bolted with washers/nuts on mine after gaining access

That is a flush mount light on the nose! I installed everything on my boat and did the necessary drilling/cutting. Think about how you like to fish to figure out where YOU want things mounted or placed. Then take the time to do it right and make sure before you cut/drill. Where there's a will...there's a way!!

I saw a boat on the Atlanta Craigslist that has a trolling motor mounted in the front with a bracket that would probably work for your boat. Look up Craigslist Atlanta, boats, and search center console (I think it says it is a Sea  Ark River Cat). Good Luck

Edited by Dolphan

Minn Kota makes a set of nylon anchors for mounting trolling motors where there is limited space or no access from below. You would still have to drill holes, but they would be small. Part # MKR-8 is a set of four anchors. You might call Minn Kota and question them about the solidity of this method on your particular vessel. Minn Kota service is usually very helpful.  800/227-6433

• Like 2

I ended up using 1/4" Toggler Wall Anchors.  They are rated for a 1080 lb load capacity and are stronger than normal toggle bolts.  I bought a 10 pack at lowes for 10.98 and was able to use the 1/4 stainless bolts that came with the trolling motor.  Everything seems very sturdy. Thanks for the tips.

post-614-0-74041100-1407943428.jpg

post-614-0-88233800-1407943436.jpg

• Like 2

The only thing I would worry about is the fact that the toggles themselfs will rust since they are jot stainless. I would look at swapping them out for a set of minnkota toggles. They are made for that purpose and will work good for you. They also have the built in "shock" absorbers on them.