Silverfox it wasn't the Conservation police or game warden as they use to be called. He was cool, it was the Wa county sheriff who were the ones being a-holes. They shouldn't be on the water if they themselves don't know the rules. I never got smart with them just pointed out they had no reason to bother us. And as for my ID they had no reason to see it since I or we hadn't done anything wrong. You do not have to show ID even if detained. I gave them my name and birth year that's all they needed. I broke no laws.

If you want to give them your ID any time they ask your more than welcome. But just watch the news the police have been over stepping their authority lately all over this country. I show respect but I won't tolerant someone treating me like a criminal just because they wear a badge. 

• Like 4

There is the key word... detained... too many youtube videos.

You guys need to wake up and realize the vast majority of the police out there are not dead set on getting you. They are not the bad guys. Don't let youtube and all these other idiots turn you against your neighbors... that's what they want. Since the public doesn't deal with the corrupt government in Washington on a daily basis, they want you to turn on the first wave of the law... the ones we see every day. When Americans turn on Americans we all lose. What's next? Turn on the military? I mean they work for the government we also are to hate.

I dislike Obuma and his cronies as much and probably more than you guys but I'm not going to let them turn me on my neighbors who wear the badge. What you may see as invasion of privacy is only a guy trying to go home to his family at the end of the shift.

Now before you get bent out of shape even more, I do realize there are guys who over step their authority. I'm not naive. But in most cases it's the one trying to show out for his buddies or his youtube audience who is in the wrong.

There are a lot more good than bad. And different people will have varied opinions of the same person. Like this guy who was supposed to be a ball buster. Did he check my creel ? ..Yes !  Did he check my license?.. Yes !  Was I legal ?... Yes !... Was he an A- Hole ?... No !  Even got a photo-op :cheer:

PAY OFF.jpg

:police:

• Like 3

There ya go. I spend a lot of time on the water and have met several since moving here. One particular comes to mind. His name is Wayne Rich. On one of our first meetings I was given his personal phone number. One night last summer around 2 in the morning I came up on a 20 foot plus house boat floating free in the channel on Douglas with no lights or anyone aboard. After several failed attempts to reach the office on their number I called Wayne around 2:30 or 3 am and he answered. He wasn't on shift but got out of bed and loaded up and came and towed the boat back to Dandridge and secured it. That's going above and beyond what they have to do. No telling who or what he might have saved that night. You all know guys run up and down there all night way faster than they should. There was no moon that night and I was just lucky to see it in time... even at 25 mph it scared the poop out of me. Had I been going faster it could have been bad. With little to no wind it stayed in the channel the entire time while I circled it with the trolling motor warning others that it was there... I imagine as much boat traffic as there was someone may have found it the hard way had I left it or Wayne not have came and towed it.

But these are the bad guys... the ones who are out to get us all.

Silverfox where did I mention youtube?? No where did I mention youtube or any video source. All you have to do is read the news. Now I also never said all police were bad. I also said the game warden was cool about it. There was one of the two sheriff's who had the real attitude. The other was ok. So before you blow things out of proportion you need to comprehend what was said. 

Unless you were there you don't know truly what happened. I only gave a brief description. The biggest problem I have seen with these guys is they don't show up when others are truly boating unsafe, we have had many wake board boats go by us while sitting trying to fish within less than 50ft. Their wakes then throw us around and guess what the sheriff's are no where to be found. They aren't even on the water till after the skiers or wake boarders have left for the day. Then they proceed to harass the ones who aren't doing anything wrong. 

I again never said all cops, police, sheriff's are bad. There  are a few who think with a badge they can do as they please. There also isn't anything wrong in pointing out when they are wrong as well. I never disrespected them or made any smart-allec remark. 

As a mechanic I work on alot of officers personal cars and even their cruisers at times. I know many, who are darn good guys. But they too will tell you some make them look bad with their attitudes. 

So take it or leave it. Defend them all you want. There are bad apples in every bunch.

Edited by Gizzardshad
  • Like 1

Every youtube video made by guys wanting to harass law enforcement use the word "detain". I'm sure that's where you got the phrase you're using from.

Look man... I'm not trying to personally attack you or belittle you for your actions. It's your right to do as you please but I will tell you that law enforcement also watches these videos and when you act or talk like these yahoos on the videos, their mentality changes. What does it honestly hurt for you to give them your name or your birth date? Why be the thorn in their side? If you're not in the wrong then why give them a reason to suspect something? Not answering reasonable questions is what people with something to hide do. Ever watched an episode of cops or any other law enforcement show?

I don't agree with much the guberment does now days. I'm a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment... I have a Glock on my side as I type this. Our rights are being infringed on at every turn but being a turd about simple questions isn't the way to stand your ground in my opinion. I don't know a single law enforcement officer who is going to turn on the people when and if the time comes. They are as fed up with them as we are in most cases but have to have a job to pay the way for the worthless. Most of them are being educated about laws the same way we are... the law enforcement training they get barely scraps the top of the laws they are expected to know and defend. Even then a moral person knows right from wrong and these guys attempt to do what's right in most cases. Don't let the few bad apples spoil the basket.

You assume to much Silverfox when it comes to anything about me. You go on and on about youtube. I don't use youtube for anything other than fishing vids or humminbird instruction videos or maybe cast nets. Now as for me using the word detained most likely I got it from watching the show Cops or something in that manner. Because even on those shows it is clear in some situations they go overboard. 

STOP ASSUMING AND STOP SAYING I THINK ALL COPS ARE BAD. I have not said this. You have assumed this is what I said. Now is that clear? 

Don't take that last sentence as me getting angry because I am far from it. Just did it so maybe it will sink in that your assumptions are wrong. 

• Like 1

It's obvious you know little about what these guys do outside of when you see them running down the road or lake. Maybe you should see if they have a ride a long program so you can get some firsthand experience in dealing with the public... half of them have no regardfor human life or the wildlife these guys are tasked with protecting. I'm sure there are wardens out there that are not up to par but the majority of them respect the job they do. It appears too many people have watched these worthless youtube videos where the public thinks its the cool thing to try and get the police to check them so they can see if they know the laws better. The little hand out book we get is only a fraction of the rules and laws these guys have to know and keep up with. It's obvious some on here don't know them as well as they think since I see game laws broken and then wrote about on here from time to time... some in this thread.

Nothing worse than someone with no clue who thinks they know more about a job than the people paid to do it. Reminds me of the "drunks" I picked up who in reality were diabetes and were experiencing a real emergency.

It's obvious to me you think you are a know it all SilverFox!

You also need to read peoples post more carefully before you start ranting comments that were not even mentioned!

I do not need a ride along, I have rode along with a FINE game warden many times in my life!

I know what they do!

Re-read my first post if you need to!

Most game wardens are like most cops- GOOD PEOPLE!

Some G.W. are like some cops-SHOULD HAVE A DIFFERENT CAREER!

I am not going to get into a pissing match with you over this!

It's obvious you think more of law enforcement in general, than I do!

We will have to agree, just to disagree!

• Like 2

i am always respectful to the authorities. i learned the hard way a long time ago what not to say or do. unfortunately that is not always reciprocated.

i respect the job they(rangers as well as police) do. its a tough one, they never know whats coming next, and i understand they must use caution. caution is one thing; threats, intimidation, verbal and physical abuse are another thing. more often than not this is what i deal with when it comes to police. even when i say yes sir, no sir, i need to reach for my wallet to show you my ID sir. 

when my friend jennifer jumped from the peir at laguna beach and broke her back we had no choice but to call 911. the cops got there first and felt a lesson was needed. they actually made the paramedics wait so they could stand there and belittle and berate not only my friend, who was in serious trouble, but the whole lot of us. was calling her a "stupid b**ch who got what she deserved" repeatedly, and denying her medical help protecting or serving?

or the officers who left me bloody and with a sprained wrist. (i did say something stupid that time-they said something derogatory to me and i answered with something derogatory about pigs) i walked to the nearby hospital and everything was going great. i had valid insurance, and a friend who witnessed the "altercation" was helping me fill out forms. i couldn't even hold a pen. then they showed up, one walked me around the corner and threatened to take me downtown and "turn off the cameras, because that's when things really get fun" (downtown was often somewhere behind the 7-11 on the corner of van buren and arlington) the other stayed with the admitting nurse. when i returned from our chat, the admitting nurse had changed her tune. they couldn't admit me. my insurance wouldn't be accepted and i needed to go somewhere else.

i have plenty of other bad examples if i sit and think about it long enough. i have so few good examples to offer. don't misunderstand me, i respect those doing their job. i know they're not all bad, my aunt was a sherriff and we have went around and around on this one. she was a good one. i wish there were more like her.

for the record, i have never had a problem with a ranger. for the most part they seem pretty friendly, and i think there job can be even worse. chasing down drunks, poachers, and derelicts on the water and in the backcountry without any firearms or assistance nearby. much respect...

Edited by gd77punk
  • Like 2

This thread has gone a long waw from trotline!

1.  A wad of string and hooks floating in midlake is not a trotline. It is trash of someone else mess and needs cleaned up.

2.  I have no problem showing any officer or the law my personal  ID.

I will answer any questions he want to ask  with honestey and respect.

sometimes it is best to think. why is he asking this question?

For example traffic stop 7 pm question where are you going?

He is fishing    don't care what the answer is looking for your reaction.

My answer    look him in the eye and grin.  he has no right to know.  sometime no answer is answer in itself. no feelings hurt.

Met a lot of good people in law enforement and a few frist class horsesasses.

• Like 2

Treating officers with the same amount of respect you demand goes a long way when you do have a run in with them. I'd say the majority of members here have had zero issues because they have done just that.

With the attitudes of some on here I can see why your meetings with them have not been pleasant.

• Like 1

Once I was checked by a warden while in a boat ramp parking lot. I questioned the "not on the water" part of this ordeal and got a "yeah, well" answer.  The next Saturday, I was checked again in the same parking lot by the same officer. This time I asked why he didn't remember me and asked what could have changed since last Saturday. I respectfully grumbled through the whole ordeal while biting my tongue and maintaining my part as law abiding the whole time. What are you going to do?

Believe it or not, guess who I ran into on the third Saturday in a row.  This time I was more than a little prickly. When he asked to see my fishing license and boater registration I said... NO!  It must have caught him off guard. I got in my truck and drove home. I did keep an eye on my rear view mirror the whole way.  Rumor is that the warden was relocated after a similar situation involving a Judge. 

Getting back to trot lines, the only person with legal authority to remove a trot line is a Game Warden.

Edited by kcsteve
  • Like 2