LarryMc

Terrova 80 lb Battery Life?

I've decided to replace the MK Edge 70 lb (cable steer) on my Lowe 1655 jet with a MK Terrova (electric steer), but haven't decided whether to get the 55 lb or 80 lb. I mostly use this boat on rivers and I usually fish floating with the current and only using the TM to adjust direction. I've had both 55 & 65 lb Powerdrives in the past and both worked fine for my use other than the few occasions that I had to go upstream against heavy current with the 55.

Anyone know the approximate battery life of the 24V 80 lb using two Group 27 batteries, assuming constant use at about 50-60% power? My boat doesn't have room to put two Group 29 batteries in it or I would go that way.

Just guessing, but I would figure it would be about the same as similarly sized powerdrives. 

If you are upgrading to the ipiliot stuff on the MK, might also check out MG Xi5. Xi5 being new, has rebates on it that make it less pricy than the terrova. 

• Like 1

I really like my Terrova 80 I-pilot. My boat is a 1870 alum that I often fish rivers in also. I use 24 volt with two AGM group 30 batteries 85 pounds ea.. 195 minutes of reserve cap. 110 amp hours. In a daylight to dark day I can not tell any change as they performed all day well. You may be able to use the 55 pound thrust MK 12 volt with two batteries. All the MK have built in maximizer that extends the battery life.

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it. I'll probably go with the 80 Terrova. The MG Xi5 is tempting due to the lower price, but I like the MK Terrova foot pedal better.

• Like 1

You may want to check with Anchor Marine of Powell Valley 423-562-1519. These guys can save you some money & make you happy. Nicky Hoskins is their MK warranty guy. He is fast, & good on them. I have went in with the minnkota on the boat for repair to leave with the motor, brushes, or board replaced to run good as new. I broke the unbreakable shaft & he replaced it free. Can't sing their song enough.

• Like 1

I will sell it after I get a TM to replace it. It will probably be a while. It's about 2 1/2 years old. The skeg has been broken off and it's scratched up pretty bad. Shallow river fishing is tough on a TM. Otherwise, it's OK.

gotcha.  I have a 74lb riptide hand control and all the nuts and bolts are about to fall out of it.  Threads keep stripping, i'm getting excess vibration while trailering i think.  May need to go back to cable steer but i love hand control coupled with a big foot on/off switch

I have then powerdrive v2 70# I pilot. I fished saturday. Batteries fully charged when I started. Used trolling motor to pull my 20ft cc at 1.5 mph on 4 pwr for 6 hours. Batteries still show full charge. Hope this helps. You can now buy the same set up for less than $1200 from bps now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody. Did a little research and found out that MK has an $80 rebate on the MK Terrova 80 with I-Pilot. I also found a good deal online for this TM, so I went ahead and ordered it. Can't wait to try it out! banana.gif

• Like 3

The Terrova 80# Ipilot trolling motors pulls a max of 56 amps.  So at half speed you will be about 28 amps.

An Interstate 27 series deep cycle has about 95 amp hours and since there are 2 of them in series doing 24 volts that will be 190 amp hours.  You cant actually use all 190 amp hours, usable power can vary but lets say you can use 80% of that.

So that's 152 / 28 = 5 hours and 26 min on a fresh completely charged set of batteries.

A set of interstate 29 series batteries will get you 6 hours and 4 minutes.

This is a pretty conservative approximation, usable power will vary and a lot of the time battery manufactures under rate their batteries.

Edited by HONDAM
  • Like 6

HONDAM,

I really appreciate you going to the trouble of figuring the run time out for me. I'll have to go with Group 27's since I don't have room in my battery compartment for 29's, but 5+ hours should be plenty since I won't be using it constantly while on the river.

Make sure and get the interstate SRM 27 PRO. Has more lead which has higher run times. Double charge life and higher CCA.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

You are going to be so happy!!!!!!!!

You called that one! I am tickled to death with my new Terrova. I got it installed on my boat  late Thursday evening and took it out yesterday. Deployment and stowing is so much easier than the MK edge and the foot pedal has so many functions that it amazes me. Just have to be careful that I don't hit the wrong button with my big feet! I have always liked electric steering better than cable steer and the Terrova is even better than the old Power Drives that I used to have.

As far as my original battery life inquiry, I still don't have a definitive answer. I fished for almost 5 hours, started out with 4 lights lit up on the battery gauge and ended with 4 lights lit up on the gauge. When I got back home, I plugged the onboard charger up and the fully charged light lit up almost immediately. Of course, I wasn't running the motor constantly like you would in lake fishing, but I still find that a little amazing.

I didn't have time to study the I-Pilot manual Thursday and learn how to use the remote. That's next on my agenda. :)

• Like 6

The Terrova 80# Ipilot trolling motors pulls a max of 56 amps.  So at half speed you will be about 28 amps.

An Interstate 27 series deep cycle has about 95 amp hours and since there are 2 of them in series doing 24 volts that will be 190 amp hours.  You cant actually use all 190 amp hours, usable power can vary but lets say you can use 80% of that.

So that's 152 / 28 = 5 hours and 26 min on a fresh completely charged set of batteries.

A set of interstate 29 series batteries will get you 6 hours and 4 minutes.

This is a pretty conservative approximation, usable power will vary and a lot of the time battery manufactures under rate their batteries.

A man who knows his stuff. Thank you Hondam!
  • Like 1

ALWAYS.. did I say ALWAYS unpug your trolling motor BEFORE charging batteries... Lesson Learned the hard way. Striperman Ron

Why? I don't think I've ever heard that before.

One tip.....get you a spare battery for the remote and keep it in the boat....my first battery lasted over 2 yrs.....but I promise it won't go dead the night before the trip or just as you get back!!

• Like 1

When you get used to the remote.....you'll leave the foot pedal at home!!.... just for back up!!

I put the Terrova on my Lowe Jet. I use this boat for river fishing. I use the remote for the functions not available on the foot pedal, but there's too much direction changing on the river to use the remote exclusively.

I'll get a spare battery. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by LarryMc
  • Like 1

I can't wait to see the difference in the power on the river !!! Let me know if you sell your old one if you don't have it sold already :). I'm working on my new project now also :). Been sick a lot lately and just getting back to a somewhat normal pattern , hope your catching them !