Jamian

Fishing etiquette and what it means to you?

From the day my father and grandfathers tought me to fish they tought me something els as well and it's called fishing etiquette. To me it means a lot. I don't see so much down here. First rule is you don't just ride up to someone that's catching fish and start casting in their spot unless it's your buddy or they are ok with it. Keep your distance from the next and don't be bothering people. Next is if someone needs help then help them out. When your out on the water you should just be respectfull and not go flying past people or around them.

• Like 15

I've never fished a crowd like I'm reading about on here, usually if there is a boat on a point or in a cove I'll just pass by. If the boat is facing out on the point and I want to fish back in the cove, I will idle past and move with as little wake like in a dock area. I have had other fisherman use the trolling motor and ease between me and the bank. This drives me nuts. So hard to bite my lip and not say anything, but you never know that guy might just own the lake.  "NOT"   Just be polite and go fishing!

• Like 7

I go fishing to have fun and enjoy the day, SO when it is not fun I leave. I left the lake early this morning because a boat ran over one of my planner boards. I made no gestures or reactions except to leave the lake. I'm over Sat. fishing.

• Like 4

I am not that much of a weekend fisherman. It gets crowded with stupid people. I know that not a lot of people get to go during the week and for that I'm greatful. Lol.

• Like 1

From the day my father and grandfathers tought me to fish they tought me something els as well and it's called fishing etiquette. To me it means a lot. I don't see so much down here. First rule is you don't just ride up to someone that's catching fish and start casting in their spot unless it's your buddy or they are ok with it. Keep your distance from the next and don't be bothering people. Next is if someone needs help then help them out. When your out on the water you should just be respectfull and not go flying past people or around them.

Well said.

• Like 1

As an x Firefighter, I help  those in need, such as today. A pickup backed TOO  far back & needed help. I hooked to him & got him to a better ground. Later,  As we  passed a run-about with man & wife, we saw both with paddles. Explination- wouldn't start,  so we tied a rope on him & the old 28 HP strained all the way to his marina across the lake.  Both parties tried to pay us- Their " thank you"  was good enough.  I did not retire my respect for others 25 years ago. Even if we didn't limit out today, I had a good day!  dada   3-8-14    9:42 PM

• Like 15

I agree! But I also learned " can't talk, you will scare the fish!" I think that was just my papaw talking though lol I started young, age 6. I was taught this as well as what everyone has said. It's really sad that a lot of people don't care anymore. Honestly, from what I have seen, it's been young people who have no fishing etiquette. Very sad :(

• Like 1

It's good to see some of us out there still care. Nice job dada. I don't know how many times I've been there to tow someone to shore or lend them a hand in gettin their boat back runnin so they to could enjoy the day.

dada,

You accomplished something more important today, then getting a limit of crappie.

• Like 1

My father taught me to respect other fisherman when i was very young.

He said not to crowd in on someone's fishing spot, even if they was wearing out the fish and i wasn't. He told me not to get close to other boaters / fisherman  if i could help it, and when passing a area where others were fishing to slow down and not put any wake on them  if i could.

I have done this my whole life, and at times on the river banks below the dams i will admit it has not always been the easiest thing to do when you see a guy in a spot reeling in one after the other  and i am 50 to 100 ft. away just catching one here one there.

Having said that, i have got hot under the collar many times when i was the guy catching them one after the other and all of the sudden someone or several guys would come over and surround me almost rubbing elbows with them! I have had them to get tangled up with my line only because they were throwing on top of me!  My dad called these guys " Kmart fisherman" said no one taught them any manners. On a couple of occasions i have had words with some because they were being total jerks, and i couldn't take it anymore.

One day my father and i were bass fishing in Turkey creek on loudon a guy was running back and forth on a jet ski no more than 20 feet from us and we were probably 30-40 feet from the bank. This guy had 200 feet between him and the other bank with no fisherman on that bank. He was blowing us all over the place, i was working overtime on the trolling motor to try and keep us at this distance. After about the 10th  pass my dad lost his cool, he grabbed the paddle and started shaking it at the guy while cussing up a storm and even flew him the bird. The guy finally left.

The moral of this story is simply this : TREAT OTHER FISHERMAN THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED!

Good topic Jamian.

• Like 4

I've never fished a crowd like I'm reading about on here, usually if there is a boat on a point or in a cove I'll just pass by. If the boat is facing out on the point and I want to fish back in the cove, I will idle past and move with as little wake like in a dock area. I have had other fisherman use the trolling motor and ease between me and the bank

. This drives me nuts.

That will be a short drive !!!      :rasta:

• Like 1

Great points all around.  Last year my wife and I were bank fishing when a boat came up the river at a slow speed throwing a large wake.  He was rolling at least a foot to foot and a half wake and nearly washed us off the bank.  He was close enough and I said next time try not to throw such a wake.  It was an older guy and he immediately started cussing us saying he could do what he wanted.  Took a lot of resolve not to respond back with words or a rock to his head or a short walk to the ramp to flatten his tires.  So it is not all young folks who have no manners on the water.  All those with poor manners will get theirs in the end.

• Like 2

Lot of people will pull up right next to ya and start fishing, ecox has the right idea.  If you aren't having fun just leave.  and if you don't like fishing in crowds, don't go to Guntersville, Chickamauga, ft loudoun dam or nina creek

• Like 1

It Is A Great But Sad Topic.The Problem Is It Is Basically Preaching To The Choir.I Think Most Of The Fisherman On This Board Practice Good Etiquette On Our Waters.This Kind Of Stuff Has Been Happening Since Before Boating Became As Popular As It Is Today.However It Has Gotten Worse And Probably Will Continue To Do So Unfortunately.I Hate To Say This And It May Not Be Popular But I Believe Social Media,Cell Phones And The Information Internet Age Has Put More Idiots Into Your Honey Holes.  

• Like 2

a lot of people (young and old) have no respect for others , at the ramp, on the road and on the lake ! its sad ! sometimes I deal with it with ecox like manners , sometimes I don't  but we should !  Set the Hook !

• Like 1

I think it all comes down to back in the day when a kid talked back to his parents or did something they weren't supposed to they got to go get a switch or the belt and they and I learned right from wrong.

• Like 3

All well said, I was taught the same. Respect others and their property period. Unfortunately this is what comes with an entitlement society. Buckle your seat belts, it's only beginning. 

However I believe that the best way to change people is to treat them better than they treat us. Just as Ecox and others have demonstrated. But if the same guy shows up this year when the white bass are running at the Forks casting his A-rig between me and the bank I may need some of you to remind me. :peace:  

• Like 3

I go fishing to have fun and enjoy the day, SO when it is not fun I leave. I left the lake early this morning because a boat ran over one of my planner boards. I made no gestures or reactions except to leave the lake. I'm over Sat. fishing.

Sorry to hear about that episode. Remind yourself that most are courteous.

• Like 1

What a tuff subject to say the least. Have to say been there dun that. Now I like to think I'd do the Ecox thing. But I would have to find another part of the lake to try to keep enjoying the day. If said individual had to follow maybe would have to pull up to him ....give him a bait or two and ask him nicely to try these at the first place he #!@$ up my fishing and thats why I left. (maybe not in those words) :)

I try to be courteous.  If I am in the river, where I can I will drop to an idle to allow drifters to pass.  Sometimes I can't.

There are lots of folks that fish the upper ends of Boone, in essence the river channel.  Slightly wider at some spots than others, planer boards make things interesting. 

One day last year, I put in at Bluff City and started upstream.  We were running at an idle, taking our time while tying on gear.  Guy had planer boards coverning the entire channel, and I moved over to the side to pass.  There was less than 20' between his outermost board and the bank.  Asked if he was doing any good, and he started yelling about how he might if some sorry a** boat hadn't run beside his rigs.  I dropped the throttle and motored on through. 

• Like 3