kahrp45andy

well rounded or species specific, what is your flavor and why

Just wondered what some of y'all are into and if you are considered well rounded or if you are more species specific. Personally I believe I am fairly well rounded as I will chase anything that swims and seem to do decent to good.

I like to think I'm well rounded but as far as fishin goes I like to hunt and catch SMALLIES , enjoy catching crappie , trout and stripe. But when my grandson is with me it's all good !!!     :cheer: 

• Like 5

I go from one to the other i'll strictly bass fish for 2-3 months then fish for anything that bites for awhile, guess it depends whats bitin lol! I grew up trout fishin , so luv that. of course luv bass fishin. when those striped fish get to hittin below the dams I'm there. then theres crappie and the toothy critters.  all I can say is Set the Hook !

• Like 1

My primary focus is muskie, followed by catfish, and trout. I'll tackle other stuff time to time, but I think the jack of all trades, master of none holds true in fishing. Hard to be disappointed if you are fishing for whatever bites, but if I want a muskie or a big flathead, I have to do specific work to get my prize.

• Like 2

I won't even pretend to be well rounded as far as fishing is concerned! cool_shades.gif I like to catch other fish once in a while, but smallies are nearly always my target species.

• Like 3

My primary focus is muskie, followed by catfish, and trout. I'll tackle other stuff time to time, but I think the jack of all trades, master of none holds true in fishing. Hard to be disappointed if you are fishing for whatever bites, but if I want a muskie or a big flathead, I have to do specific work to get my prize.

Well said. I take spells but am known to take gear for other species with me just in case the targeted species isn't biting. Muskie is something I would love to try and think would be a blast to catch the fish of 1000 casts. But I like it all from big bluegill, cats, trout, smallies, strioers, crappie, and even carp, drum, gar. We were on the big trout today most were 3+ pounds with one that would have topped 5.5. Partner caught a 10+lb carp in the river on 4lb line today too. I think he fought that fish for 30 minutes. Heck he made me tired watching.

• Like 4

I fish hard for crappie until I get a dozen or so messes for the freezer and a few messes of fresh ones, then move on to smallmouth in the lakes w/ FNF, then in April several weeks of fishing for largemouth with lizards, worms and Baby brushhogs.  After that I start fishing hard for smallmouth in the big rivers and the Pigeon.  I do take some time outs for a few trout and walleye/sauger trips.  Also, like to catch a few stripers along incidental to the smallmouth trips.  Catfish are welcome in my boat from time to time as well. Oh, I almost forgot the stripes up at Leadvale in the spring. 

• Like 2

I'm well rounded alright, but my diet is late getting started. Everyone knows how single minded I am from my posts (stripers) but I have the pleasure to catch a good many other species.

• Like 2

I will fish for anything but largemouth and smallmouth and spots are my favorite, followed closely by white bass.  But really I kind of follow the same pattern as dloveday except I don't use a FNF ha ha.  No wonder our reports always look the same, I think I may have even seen his trailer at the ramp on the French broad a few times

• Like 1

I'm a bass fisherman primarily but enjoy crappie, white bass, and even yellow bass some in the spring....as for my favorite bass, it's a smallmouth, hands down, I love the way they fight...

• Like 2

Having lived in Oregon I did the salmon,steelhead, and trout thing and have caught hundreds and hundreds and must say but for some good memories and some faint twitchings I'm pretty much over them. Love chasing all species for the most part and now that I live in Tennessee I just LOVE seeing bass of all kinds tear up bait fish. Oh My Gosh it's awesome. From the gentle slurp of a schooling LMB to a splashing of a white. My favorite is the garbage can swirl of a big striper!!! Praise GOD for so many choices out there. OH...did I mention I have to keep the light rod out of the boat when the panfish move shallow....those addictive little bobber buryiers.

Tight Lines

• Like 7

I think for me it's the water I'm on, if the water is moving (river) I focus on trout (brown is my fav). If the water is still it's got to be bass (smallmouth is my fav). I did try the striper thing this fall and that was great fun. It's been years since I've fished for crappie, walleye, or other species. I think I just enjoy the pace and the hunt for those browns and smallies.  I do like to try new things, so who knows what is next!

• Like 1

I would say I'm beginning to be a more rounded fisherman these days or should I say I'm getting better at it. I've always fished for a little bit of everything and did really good at it before I moved to Tennessee. Going from living up north my whole life and knowing the waters a lot better up there to moving down here has been quite the challenge and learning proses. It's a whole different world fishing these deep lakes. I've learned a lot from this site and my fishing buddy Andy. Good topic.

• Like 1

I Love Big SmallMouth Bass Fishing in Our Rivers But I'm Open To Every Species And Love The Different Challenges They All Present.Like Crappie And Walleye To Share With Family And Friends.It's Nice That Different Times Are Best For Different Fish Occasionally.Then There's Turkey Huntin Oh My Bad Wrong Topic  :tongue:

• Like 3

I'm maybe the worst fisherman on the forum besides Zac. I'm a little better than him, but I can't tell you how many times this winter I've felt like throwing my box and poles in the water. I'm pretty round though. If it wasn't for supermarkets this winter I would have starved.

Last spring through summer I felt like I was on fire. This winter about brought me to dynamite the whole lake.

Edited by C4PZL0K
  • Like 4

I'm for sure a cold water or offshore guy. When it comes to fresh water I love nothing more then walleye or trout. Don't get me wrong, if it swims and fights I love to catch it. I normally like to troll. For some reason it just comes to me and I do pretty good at it. Maybe its the I pilot that makes it so easy or just having a boat set up right. I have fished multiple bass tournaments but just can get into it. I'm more of a catch and eat. And I try to catch what I like to eat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Well I think I am pretty well rounded. I have fly fished for brook trout in the higher elevations of the mountains, where you had to crawl up the stream, because it was so overgrown., and I'am getting older, fatter and lazier, so I don't do that anymore. My fly fishing buddy has two brothers in Fort Myers Fl. and one has a very nice flats boat, so we go down there every year and fish for the redfish, mangrove snappers, and anything else that has a mouth. Around here I still fly fish the tail waters for trout, crappie fish in the winter, and bass fish. but at the end of the day, if I could only catch one type of fish, it would be a small mouth. 

• Like 2

Since I was raised on the Holston river near the Forks my first love would be the white bass. My pulse rate is getting up just thinking of what is about to happen in a couple of weeks!!! :tongue: . When they quit running, I will fish for anything like many others. I enjoy fishing. As far as being well rounded, I think I am at least in the top five on here.......6' 1"....234# :stir_pot:

• Like 2

Being on the water with a few of your closest friends, telling stories and laughing about good ole times while chasing bass (Browns in particularly) is a peace like no other. Some don't like night fishing but when the moon is out and all you hear is cricketts, it's almost like you're in a world all your own. There is not another passion like that to me personally and I'm blessed to be able to have my own boat now and and enjoy a past-time that is so gratifying.

• Like 1

I started out with blue gill and bass, then graduated to catfish for the fight.  Then I found carp and have never looked back.  If I fish for the table, it is trout, but 99.9% of the time if I am fishing, I am after the biggest carp I can find.  All catch and release.

I enjoy the sport of fishing... Whether I am fishing for catfish in a lake or I am catching bluegill to use as bait, I love it all.

I believe the key is having the proper tackle for a species. If I am chasing big cats, I use my big cat rod. If I am after crappie or gills, an ultra light moderate action rod makes it a blast. With the right tackle, anything is a blast. When I fight a big gill on my little panfish rod, it feels like I am fighting a tarpon!!

As far as having fun and becoming a well-rounded angler, I'm all about diversity. For the table, I prefer panfish and crappie... But for that tug which is the drug.... Give me a big channel or flattie in the middle of the night... Bells going crazy on the end of my line, that moment just before the hook set and the satisfaction of putting the beast in the net are the thrill.... Then, watching that big fish swim away... That's what makes it all worth it for me.

Started bluegill fishing when I was 3. So that's my fist love. Boat problems prevented me from really giving crappie a go this year. Hope to change that. Besides that bass and walleye. I quit fishing for trout when the regulations changed on the Clinch.