kcsteve

Braid mystery break offs

One thing that causes lures to break off on the cast are damaged guides.   Ceramic is a tough material but once its nicked its like a razor blade to braid.  If you experience a mystery break off with braid, run a cotton swab on the inside of each guide.  If any piece of the cotton sticks to a guide that is likely the problem.  

• Like 5

The youtube video posted is called a San Diego Jam knot...very reliable knot.  It is one of four that I use on a regular basis.

What are the other three?

I always use a double palomar knot. Haven't had it fail on me yet. I retie my lines every trip though.

Thanks for the share Fland, that was a good instructional video.

I used to have a lot of breaks with Fireline. Even bluegill. My problem was my knot. I went to a knot in the fireline spool pack similar to the one kcsteve had. Run the doubled line thru the hook, tie half an overhand knot with the loop, run the end loop of that line back over the hook, plug, etc, wet and tighten. Haven't had a break since I started using it and some of my line is 6-7 yrs old.

• Like 1

Has anybody else had any mystery break offs while using Power Pro braid?

I have sent lures into outer space orbit when I get one of these unexplained break offs. A good hardy hook set will sometimes cause a break. I'm not talking about a bad knot, a fray or old line. It just pops sometimes for no good reason. I have not experienced this with other braided line. Don't get me wrong, I have always liked and still use Power Pro, but I am wondering about these unexplained break offs.

You May have a cut inside your eye on your rod somewhere. When the fishing line goes through there it just continues to nick it obviously makes the line very weak . Take a Q-tip run inside your eye if you get a snag that's probably it. Just a theory for you i've had this happen before. A lot of times you may not even be able to visualize this that's why say use a Q-tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. But the break offs only occur with Power Pro brand braided line. If you Google Power Pro mystery break offs, it seems to be a common problem with Power Pro. It didn't matter which rod or reel or line size that I used. It might happen during a cast or hook set and my knots are good. It has happened once too often for me. 

I tried Power Pro in 20 lb on a spinning reel.    Too many problems wind knots, line twist, etc.

I quit using it.   I went to Fins Windtamer.  It is much better.  I have used Suffix 832.  Also worked good.  I hated Power Pro.  It was the worse braid that I have ever used.

I also used a Uni to Uni knot to tie 20 lb florocarbon leaders to the Fins braid and never had a knot failure.   Usually when broken off, it is the floracarbon leader.    

I am a spinning reel fisherman & really like braided line. It gives me a lot more options in line size. My biggest problem is breaking my fluorocarbon leader where it is tied to the braid. Think I'll try the lobbing method as suggested in this forum.