DoubleL

Cork Grips

The natural oil on my hands. Keep the cork handle in your hand every chance you have, and of course be casting and catching.

• Like 6

The natural oil on my hands. Keep the cork handle in your hand every chance you have, and of course be casting and catching.

Absolutely the very best way. The oil lubricates and the wear shapes it to your hand. And confidence builds. Great comment RLP.

• Like 3

Good point SmallieKing.  Healthy debate is educational.  One can pick and choose his/her words, however, so as not to offend or hurt someone's feelings.  Just a thought.

Graham

• Like 2

EXACTLY! Never did feel the need to "clean" my grips. However, I sure am anxious to apply another application of "hand oil" as soon as this white crap gets out of here!! Stay warm, folks.

• Like 4

No offense taken. I would love to try a 2014 model top notch, lightweight, sensitive rod but with only a few fishing days per year and not many years left, just can't justify that expense. But I have a lot of confidence in some of my antique stuff. Obviously, the dabbling (tubing) technique is not of much use in this area but that old handmade rod is loaded with memories and sentiment. I hope every serious fisherman can enjoy his "tools and toys" as many years as I have.

Who knows what touch and technology they'll be talking about fifty years forward from now!?

If you can just make it till June, I will take you to a spot that your combo will work great on, will not need more than 4 # test and a little awareness to the slightest bit of movement  in your chosen rig.

Oh ! And to keep on point The best way to take care of your cork handles is very fine sand paper. They will look and feel like new.

• Like 4

Here's a cork handle I glued onto this rod a long time ago; don't remember exactly when but likely in the mid-70s. The original reel on it was a Cardinal 4 that eventually bit the dust so I put this new one on. The cork has never had anything done to it but I've changed the tape a few times.

post-196-0-42016400-1392324115.jpg

• Like 3

Those old cardinal reels were great, Had a few myself taped to a good cork handle like the one you show there Frank. Very smooth reels !!!    :cheer: 

Yes, the Cardinals were great. I bought a number 4 when first available, about '73.

This cork handle feels warmer than any of the others I have - composite, rubber, etc. It's noticeable.

• Like 2

This is just personal opinion but for me especially on hot days cork seems to have a better feel in the hand and is less fatiguing during a long day of fishing

-Dusty-

• Like 1

This is just personal opinion but for me especially on hot days cork seems to have a better feel in the hand and is less fatiguing during a long day of fishing-Dusty-

DixieDawg, you ain't had many "hot" days lately.

no that is for sure but wait till around august we will have plenty nothing against any other grips I just prefer cork hot or cold days just seem more comfortable in the hand in my opinion but I say fish what you like not necessarily hot but I am looking forward to warm days myself

Thanks again for all the suggestions fellow. Since I palm a baitcaster and hold the spinning reel between my fingers at the reel seat, I don't have much contact with the cork but I just didn't like the looks of the handles, it is just cosmetic and didn't look that good and was starting to bug me. Thanks again for the help guys.

Edited by DoubleL
  • Like 2

Yes, the Cardinals were great. I bought a number 4 when first available, about '73.

This cork handle feels warmer than any of the others I have - composite, rubber, etc. It's noticeable.

Could Be The Black Tape In The Sun Adding To The Warmth Of The Handle You May Want To Go With White As I Had One Wrapped In White.I Also Have The Old Cardinal 4 reels Loved Them Back In The Day.I Do Like My Newer Pfluegers Better Today But Back In The Day I Thought They Were The Best.That's Tennessee Style Handle I Do Believe

hey guys, your showing your age. talking about cardinal reels. I still have a couple of 3's & 4'S. put them in retirement like myself. i have been offered some good  money for them. think i'll just pass them down to family members. does anyone know where i can fine bail springs for the cardinal 3. have one parts reel i would like to rehab . thanks

• Like 2

Dug a little farther back in a storage room and found a few old rods, including another type of cork handle. I think this was called burnt cork and I used it on this thru-handle rod. It was a nice setup but the burnt cork did not wear well and became kinda' crumbly. It lasted a few thousand casts and then I replaced the bottom part with standard cork. The short section above the reel is the original burnt cork. (By the way, the reel ferrule cracked and would not hold tight, this the cable ties). I think this was 1975 or so.

post-196-0-52114900-1392500762_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I love the look and feel of cork, it's warm in the winter and cool in the summer and never slippery.  I don't have an issue with "feel" because there is a spot under the reel where it was designed with bare rod blank for your finger to naturally fit.  I believe there is no right or wrong answer, there is simply a handle material and rod type built for every preference and style of fishing.  I think it's great you can get any combination you want in any price range these days.  Fishing gear has never been better or more affordable in my opinion!  Fish what you like!

Edited by OldManOwen
  • Like 2

This is the most easily offended bunch of people I've ever saw, lol. But on topic, I have used cork for as long as I can remember. This is more a personal bias towards it, although I own several handle materials. The cork, to me, just feels/looks "right". I've never done anything to treat them, I figure most have a protective coating of fish slime, shad scales, and worm dirt to protect the underlying finish.

• Like 3