DoubleL

Cork Grips

Don't leave them in the sun (ie on the boat or back of a vehicle).  

I don't bother washing mine either, seems to me that over washing them leads to drying out to. 

You can coat them with Trondak cork sealer (rod building catalog such as Janns or Netcraft) or use Birchwood Casey's Tru-oil (gun stock finish).  Both change the color and texture. 

Thanks guys. The boat stays at Toqua from March to November and the sun really works on my equipment. Even with boat covers it gets hot in the rod boxes and dries out the handles. I have even tried storing them in the compartments under the motor home but they still get hot under there.

Easy,I don't buy rods that use technology that is left over from 1906....

that is actually sad….

typed from Mac, with in sight of my Android phone, next to my Tab Tablet, not far from my busted i-phone….

you don't know what you are missing…...

• Like 4

Well maybe one day St.Croix and Kistler will upgrade their technology

Easy on us old folks Joe! Cork was best thing we had back when...

Here is cork handle older than you are. Rod, reel and jig are too. Caught lots of big bass on this rig - reel was strictly to hold line. I purposely did not use a casting reel while inner tubing so there would be no temptation to cast and it was easier to stay in stealth mode just dabbling and crawling that jig & worm or jig & eel over limbs, logs and stumps. The cork is still in pretty good shape.post-196-0-57586400-1392151359_thumb.jpg

In action.

post-196-0-11588700-1392150971_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not trying to offend anyone with my statement but think about it for a minute; why are top quality rods usually $150 and up? What are you gaining over a $29 ugly stick? Is one of the advantages sensitivity? Yes? Good.

What is sensitivity? Basically the feeling of a vibration, right? So, if you buy a good rod for the ability to feel vibration let me ask this; What will transmit vibration better, a rigid steel dowel or cooked spaghetti? Why?

Cork is soft, there for cork kills sensitivity. Hence the reason that I think it's antiquated, albeit nostalgic, technology for rod crafting.

Edited by JoeP

I Guess G Loomis and Boyd Duckett Would Strongly Disagree joep.I'm Sure Boyd Duckett Could Have His Rods Built Anyway He Chooses.When You Win The Bassmaster Classic Technology Is Not An Obstacle For Such Distinguished Anglers.But Then Again They Both Build "Fairy Wands" So What Do They Know.

• Like 4

I'm not trying to offend anyone with my statement but think about it for a minute; why are top quality rods usually $150 and up? What are you gaining over a $29 ugly stick? Is one of the advantages sensitivity? Yes? Good.

What is sensitivity? Basically the feeling of a vibration, right? So, if you buy a good rod for the ability to feel vibration let me ask this; What will transmit vibration better, a rigid steel dowel or cooked spaghetti? Why?

Cork is soft, there for cork kills sensitivity. Hence the reason that I think it's antiquated, albeit nostalgic, technology for rod crafting.

No offense taken. I would love to try a 2014 model top notch, lightweight, sensitive rod but with only a few fishing days per year and not many years left, just can't justify that expense. But I have a lot of confidence in some of my antique stuff. Obviously, the dabbling (tubing) technique is not of much use in this area but that old handmade rod is loaded with memories and sentiment. I hope every serious fisherman can enjoy his "tools and toys" as many years as I have.

Who knows what touch and technology they'll be talking about fifty years forward from now!?

• Like 5

JoeP, 

we understand your post, but it was a smart butt way to say it.  it surprised me, coming from you.  i had to look twice to see who posted it.  we could debate "old technology"  i.e....lead vs tungsten, aluminum hulls vs fiberglass, etc.... i'm sure you use at least one of those.

• Like 1

I love cork. It's comfortable, it floats, and it looks cool. For me being in a kayak it's real nice when things float. I've always liked the feel and look of cork handles. Either split or full cork is fine with me.

Fland, that is the oldest reel I have seen in a long time. I would be tempted to keep using it.

Joe, usually when I pay $100+ for cork it's because of the warranty and made in USA aspects.

Edited by C4PZL0K
  • Like 2

I Guess G Loomis and Boyd Duckett Would Strongly Disagree joep.

No offense but you can't put Loomis and Duckett in the same sentence. Loomis makes a good rod but Duckett rods are junk. I recently talked to a guy that fishes the Elite series and he told me they refer to them as the white trash collection.

Didn't Offend Me One Bit,I've Talked To Guy's That Really Like Their Boyd Duckett Rods But We Know What Opinions Are Like.I'll Dare Say Boyd Duckett's Opinion On Bass Fishing Equipment Is More Revered Than Yours And I Know His Tournament Wins Are More Prestigious As Well.The Point Was Sometimes It's Better To Rest Your Hands On The Keyboard and Ponder As A Simpleton Than To Peck On It And Remove All Doubt.

• Like 4

If I was still a mod I would have edited that post already.

You're stirring up a lot of mud with your vocabulary.

We all like you JoeP, just lighten up a bit. Grief.

• Like 1

I'm just stating what I saw and it helped restore the cork handle.

Alcohol would help clean the cork, but if too much is absorbed into the cork, it would lead to further drying out.  It would not help restore an already dried out cork. 

Edited by SmallieKing
  • Like 1