ecox

Cold weather fish kill

did you catch any fish that day, bigsmallie? ive had some tough luck down there when the water temp is below 40

No. I tied some really nice looking flies(at least to me) I was after Sauger, but that area directly below dam showed almost no fish on finder. The mouth of channel that goes to ramp and up to Tellico had almost solid fish on screen, nothing would even hit a live shiner. I had planned to fish A-frame but wife and I were a little chilly and figured if they wouldn't hit where we were why would they hit somewhere else. Talked to three men in a tub that fished the mouth all morning and caught 1 drum 1 little smallmouth.

While the gulls are great fish finders & help us most of the year it is not true as for the catching part during the fish kill. The game fish are under the dead and dying bait just like the gulls are above picking off food lazily where the bite is very slow. My next efforts will be to go upstream into the shallow warming water of coves and in feeds away from all this easy food.  If the river flow slows the steam plants will be a great fishing hole.  

You are welcome. Trying this out on my phone while.computers are being serviced. Tried to download tapatalk but says not enough storage space on my phone. Any suggestions?

• Like 1