ecox

Cold weather fish kill

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/hamblen-jefferson-cocke-greene/2014/01/27/fish-kill-spotted-near-cherokee-dam/4951137/

If you see it on the news don't get excited. Some cold weather threadfin kill may be good. This happens every few winters. The alewife population explodes to fill the niche quickly until the threadfin recover. May make the bite a little better by reducing the biomass, but catch around the kill will be next to impossible.

• Like 1

Flitter bait, silver buddy & other small blade baits would have been a big YES earlier, but I need to get away from the kill now.

The major forage fish is threadfin, alewife, & gizzard in that order here in East Tennessee. The alewife may move in front of the threadfin till it recovers late summer. There are others that are important but much less % of the game fish diet.  

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/hamblen-jefferson-cocke-greene/2014/01/27/fish-kill-spotted-near-cherokee-dam/4951137/

If you see it on the news don't get excited. Some cold weather threadfin kill may be good. This happens every few winters. The alewife population explodes to fill the niche quickly until the threadfin recover. May make the bite a little better by reducing the biomass, but catch around the kill will be next to impossible.

In another related story, Little white birds became huge ostrich sized overnight !    see pic in link :fishingboot

• Like 1

If you can catch a fish don't bring it in the boat to unhook unless you want GRAYPOOPON it. The belly is swelled.

• Like 1

I would imagine when it first started a man with a silver buddy could have loaded the boat.

SilverFox, I imagine that man with the silver buddy would be one tough hombre to be out and about fishing today. He deserves a boat load.

In another related story, Little white birds became huge ostrich sized overnight !    see pic in link :fishingboot

Oh yes, those gulls are feasting. They will soon get fat and lazy, like some of us who are now sitting fireside and sipping hot chocolate and reading/posting on this forum because we can't get out to fish. Cabin fever may become epidemic with another week of this kind of weather.

• Like 2

got me thinking about down in Louisiana, in the marshes they are probably having a fish kill also, but it wouldn't be the bait fish that people would be fretting over….

The saltwater speckled trout caught in the marshes take a beating in a hard freeze, and is a tough thing to look at….limits of legal fish floating on the surface...

well, I can't comment about what happens here as I don't know much about it, so I will just say thanks for filling in the blanks...

Thanks for the pictures gd77punk.

It is nearly 100% threadfin shad that came thru the dam from Cherokee lake washing downstream. It is like that in a number of locations on all the reservoirs. The negative point to the threadfin kill is difficulty in catching fish right now until the shad disappear from being eaten, washed downstream, or decay. > There are a number of good points to the winter kill. It is only threadfin shad that are affected so no water problems except so cold the threadfin can't handle it. >When the threadfins die it leaves a vacant place & that niche will be filled very quickly by massive alewife spawns. I kind of like it when only alewife are in my cast net so I don't have to sort out the threadfins. > The live & even artificial bait offered to game fish will be much more attractive so the bite will be better thru much of the summer. > I look at this being a good thing a little later.

• Like 5

Thanks for the pictures gd77punk.

. The negative point to the threadfin kill is difficulty in catching fish right now until the shad disappear from being eaten, washed downstream, or decay. 

I nearly turned around and drove straight home except I saw what looked like fish feeding in an area I had seen them before. After I launched out and got closer they were dying threads surfacing. I fished for a bit anyways since I was there but kept my hopes in the truck. I did get one bite on a wd-40. I also saw lots of Threadfin swimming in the river that looked fine, mostly in the shallow areas.

i know its a little late now but here is one more that i forgot about. if you zoom in you can see them all the way to the top of the ramp

fabdb508-dfaf-4953-8464-6734d2ddb1d4_zps

Edited by gd77punk
  • Like 4