fishnfool

Trolling Motor Size

I have a 1995 17-1/2 foot Ranger RS-70 Sport with a 115 Johnson Fast Strike and Minn Kota 37-lb thrust 12-volt trolling motor. I want to upgrade to a larger trolling motor.  What size would be best to provide maximum power when fighting wind but still have  adequate low end speeds for calm conditions? Can the 70-lb thrust be dialed down or would a 55-lb be better.

Also, my current trolling motor is a 12 volt connected to two 12 volt batteries (boat accessories/motor are on a third battery).  If I buy a 24 volt motor, can I simply change the configuration of the batteries from parallel to series to get the 24 volts or would I need to rewire.

Any info would be appreciated.

Since you already have two batteries for your TM setup, I suggest you opt for a 70 lb thrust.  I have a 70lb MK Edge on my Lowe 1655CC jet and a 70 lb MK Maxxum on my 374V Ranger (18'). Both work fine on my boats in both windy and calm conditions. Both can be adjusted for speed as needed. 

You can change the battery wiring from parallel to series to get 24 volt. 

BTW, welcome to TA!  :)

Edited by LarryMc
  • Like 1

I would get the 24 Volt 70LB for sure.  For the batteries you would do exactly what you described.  The 70LB on .5 or 1 will move the boat as slow as you want to go and the batteries will last all weekend if they are still in good shape!

Thanks for the feedback (LarryMc and OldManOwen), I thought the 70 would be best but was concerned that it might not have the low end range I need.  Think I'm going to like this site better than the one I had been on.  Looking forward to checking lake reports....deer season is over, time to get back on the water soon.

• Like 1

Larry & Nate give good info. 70 is plenty with no wiring head aches. Minn kota has a great low end speed all the way to max. They are also easy on batteries with built in maximize.

i have a 74lb minn kota riptide on an 18.5 ft aluminum big wide center console, moves it along great.  A little overkill on full blast but i like overkill on trolling motors............. i have been thrown down once or twice though

Get a "digital" model with infinite speed adjustment vs one with 5 preset levels. The digital models are better on battery drain also. You will need to connect your batteries differently to get 24v. Should be just a matter of reconfiguring your jumper wire(s).  Good luck!!

Just reconfiguring the wires isn't always the best solution. You should check the draw of the motor you get to the size of the wires. Running to small of wires could cause a voltage drop and limit the performance/reliability of the motor.

I don't think I posted the process I use to determine wire size to this website. It is a very simple thing to do, I'll go ahead and start a new thread with it.

• Like 2