Sign in to follow this  
tblackgt350

What is the battery charger trying to tell me?

I finally got a day off to go fish; problem is the boat won't start. I just got it back from having the injectors cleaned, etc. and it worked fine. I'm pretty sure the batteries are good. I have a MinnKota 300 series charger and the power light is on. There are three rows of indicator lights; 1st row indicate charging, not lit. The 2nd row "full Charge" Battery 1 not lit, Batt 2 lit, Batt 3 not lit. 3rd row "check connection" batt 1 lit, batt 2 not lit, batt 3 lit. Everything seems tight, cables to the charger feel tight. Is there something else I need to look for?

Thankspost-564-0-97965200-1389394501_thumb.jpg

post-564-0-97965200-1389394501_thumb.jpg

I would suggest changing the leads from one battery to the other. You may have a problem with the charger, fuse, positive / negative hook up, or battery if the connections are good.

• Like 1

Good advice.

Since your boat won't start, I'm guessing that your crank battery is on bank 1 or 3.  Bank number 2 appears to be working.  Switching the connections will give you some idea about the condition of your charger.  If you charger is working, then you have multiple problems.  That's where the connections, fuses, etc. come in.

Now is a good time to go over the entire system.

Check/clean all connections, and inspect cables.  Remove and charge each battery.  Have them tested.  Check fuses.

I know it's a pain.  But, it can help prevent future problems. 

• Like 1

I had the same problem but with the Bass Pro brand. It turned out one "bank" on the charger had died and was not charging that battery at all. I didn't notice until the battery got to low to function. Bass Pro was awesome and just handed me a new one. It's been working fine since. If you still have the manual it will tell you exactly what the lights mean.

EDIT : If I were you I would put a multi meter on the battery and see what the voltage is. If its low then you know for sure the charger is not functioning properly.

Edited by OldManOwen

I kinda figured I had a lot of checking to do. I hope it's not the charger as I already replaced it two years ago; the boat came with a 3 bank pro, I changed to a MinnKota hoping to get a more dependable piece. I just want to get it figured out pronto. The water temp is perfect for slinging Mission jigs!

• Like 1

I had nothing but trouble out of my on board charger, I just carry a lot of batteries inside now.  Pain in the butt but I know how im charging them and what their status is everytime

I have used onboard chargers for years with great success. Bass Pro is the only one I've had any problems with and they replaced them good. Good brands like Minn kota, Guest, & others last for years while making the battery life much longer.

Batteries can be a headache. Just went through same problems. I had a two bank dual pro on board for 13 years. So I would recommend for sure. Started having issue with one of the batteries not charging all the way or at all, got tired of messing with it so ordered a new three bank on e-bay saved ($40.00) Pro mariner brand. When I removed the old charger it's shell was busted open on back side  that I could not see and rusted on base. I think this caused on of the banks to stop charging. The new one has all three batteries charged and ready to go now.  

In your case it could also be as simple as cleaning connections or loose eye on connection.

Good Luck

Most battery stores will check the battery-free. My charger had a bad connection in the clip. Resoldered it, now works fine. I am not familiar with the multi chargers, so can't help there.    dada 1-12-14  6:20 PM

sometimes the auto parts stores will give you the runaround on battery tests, theyve got me good a couple times.  I just recently got a cheapo battery tester for 6 bucks and it works pretty good

Just in case anyone is interested, the problem turned out to be two bad batteries; one of the trolling motor batteries had changed polarity (I didn't know they could do that) and unit that cranks the big motor was just dead.  Interstate replaced the trolling motor battery free of charge even though it was two years old; not so lucky with the BassPro battery.

• Like 4

Thanks for update. How did you go about finding the problems?

I pulled some hair out, looking for blown fuses and leads that may have been reversed when I had the boat serviced. Then I sought professional help and took the boat to Jerry's ProMarine in Andersonville. It took several hours to figure out but my total bill was still just 140.00 including the new battery. Evidently, if you drain a battery down to nothing and leave it that way for a while it can change polarity. I did not know that.

• Like 1