Sign in to follow this  
kahrp45andy

down imaging vs side image

I am in the market for a new fishfinder and will be upgradi g from an old hummingbird $99 special. Im not sure if my budget can afford a si finder but was wondering if it makes that much of a difference. I mainly use my current finders to mark depth only and not really locate fish. I am going to go with di for sure I believe and if its worth it I may have to step up to si but I am trying to stay in the 4-500 range.

I find that striper fishing the down image is not of much value to me, BUT THE SIDE IMAGE HAS HELPED ME CATCH MANY FISH I WOULD NOT HAVE CAUGHT. I could catch some fish without using a fish finder but I don't think I could stand it being blind. I try not to fish where there is no fish or bait fish.

Thanks guys. I will look into bbg marine also. the good news is I have been talking about getting one and we celebrated my birthday tonight instead of last night and my dad walks in and hands me a lowrance catalog and says pick one out and I'll get you one. he almost bought me one of the elite 7 series with di, GPS, & chart plotting but said he would rather me pick one out. I told him I had been leaning towards a hummingbird and he said they didn't have a catalog for him to bring home. lol. so now this changes things a little. I will probably talk to him and throw some money ontop of what he was planning on spending and get one with si now.

Last year I had bought a 788 di. Primarily I decided this because it was far superior to the flashers that I was accustomed to. While super impressed, the side imaging phenom kept catching my attention. I have a 989 SI and I now loom back a what a waste of money the DI was. I shoulda went straight with SI from the get go.

I cannot agree more with what Ezell said.

I use SI all the time striper fishing. As a general rule I do not have the DI screen being displayed. If I am having trouble figuring something out, or I am sitting still then I will run DI for a while. SI also increases your coverage area substantially. If I had a choice between the two, I would definitely go with SI.

Alright so here's what we have came up with. Dad is leaning me towards the hummingbird 597ci HD di. I am thinking more like the HB 598ci HD si combo and i tokd him i would make up the money difference. Does anyone have any experience with these? The reason I am looking at the 598 is because of the si and I think that will come in handy for stripers and even walleye fishing.

Big as you can stand is better.

True. If there is one time to stretch a budget. This is it.I sometimes fish on boats without SI. And, we catch fish. But, it drives me crazy not being able to see what is being missed.I do like the DI as an addition to the sonar while sitting still. I have it overlayed onto the sonar screen to help get a better picture of what's under the boat. DI has also saved me several cast nets. But, I would not buy a stand alone DI unit just for that purpose.With either the new Birds or HDS you can't go wrong. Both are great systems.

I have to agree with the bigger is better advice. I have a 898c SI, wish I would have gotten the 1198c SI now. Would you possibly consider a used 898c SI if I upgraded to the 1198c SI? I would include all the new wiring, hardware and transducer that comes in the 1198c SI. They use the same cables and transducer. The head unit would be the only used part.

I have the ll98c SI. It does show me good info big enough to allow lots of side distance to each side when fishing reservoirs. Seeing schools 150+ feet to the side allowing me to navigate toward them. My most common screen set up is 25% sonar using 83 & 200 KHz with 75% Side Scan using 450 KHz.

• Like 1

One other thing to consider, with the new Lowrance HDS Touch Gen 2 models and a wi-fi module for about $200, there is a feature that allows you to slave over to a wireless device such as a smart phone or an I-pad to display the same image as showing on the screen. If you have one of these wireless devices, you can put a second screen on the boat for about $200 plus the mounting device. RAM sells mounts for a bunch of these. Or just throw it on the floor.

If I had an extra few grand to spend I would get me one of those Humminbird 360's. I have a 898 SI now and love it but I think my next big purchase will be one of those.

If you are going with Humminbird and want to really take advantage of some of the advanced features at a later date like iPilot Link, 360, real time networking, and all that good stuff, then you need to look at the 898, 998, or 1198. Also, if you really plan on running split, or multi screen modes then these units are a must. I have an 998C si, and I must say that I really wish I had the 1198. The additional screen size is just better! This is definitely a case where bigger is better. If you get one of the smaller units then I would not recommend running split screens because it just becomes too hard to see things correctly. If you can have the best then go with the 1198. If you can't afford that, then drop back to the 998 or 898. If you still can't afford it, then get the 700 or 500 series with HD and with Si. The difference of having HD will be noticeable, and Si for striper fishing is a big plus.

I have to agree with the bigger is better advice. I have a 898c SI, wish I would have gotten the 1198c SI now. Would you possibly consider a used 898c SI if I upgraded to the 1198c SI? I would include all the new wiring, hardware and transducer that comes in the 1198c SI. They use the same cables and transducer. The head unit would be the only used part.

I'll talk to dad about it since he has decided to buy me one. if it was my own dough I would definitely consider it.

My 1198 Bird has 200 & 83 KHz standard sonar looking down that shows much more than down image. Most striper fishermen are not looking for structure but fish only. Sometimes is shows to much so down image helps me sort it out to identify targets but only as a go to screen then back to sonar / side image split screen.

I would go with the biggest screen size your wallet can handle no matter which manufacturer you choose they both work awesome. But screen size is very important at least to me as I get older the old eyes ain't what they used to be Bass Fishin & Banjer Pickin ! :)

I have the 1198 and 360. I use SI more than anything, but the more I use the 360 the more I like it. It is great for catching bait, you can drive right up on the bait balls.

One other thing to consider, with the new Lowrance HDS Touch Gen 2 models and a wi-fi module for about $200, there is a feature that allows you to slave over to a wireless device such as a smart phone or an I-pad to display the same image as showing on the screen. If you have one of these wireless devices, you can put a second screen on the boat for about $200 plus the mounting device. RAM sells mounts for a bunch of these. Or just throw it on the floor.

Very interesting. Newest depth finder I have is '89 Humminbird; first learned on Lowrance green box in 1968; never used anything but flasher. Now want to get modern - where would I shop for Wifi module, compatible side imaging depth finder, etc? I have iPad and would love to have good display without buying two depth finders. Thanks