Sign in to follow this  
bradleymward

Ideal trolling motor mounting

here's 2 photos of the bow, the gentlemen that previously owned it placed the 2 by 4 there to mount a hand controlled unit on when he went out. so it will be removed and started from fresh!

post-365-0-22413300-1387853832.jpegpost-365-0-99930800-1387853842.jpeg

Rick stafford, the authority on trolling motors in this area, told me that you want the shaft about an inch away from the side of the boat. He will also mount them for ya

In the second picture , where your foot is on the left . Is that a locker lid ? It looks like it is going to be tough to mount one the "traditional" way gonna have to get creative for sure. Was thinking if that area to the left isn't a locker lid you could build up a platform there , mount the front to the bow itself and the rear to the platform that is flush with the cap. If it is a locker lid it would be nearly impossible to do it that way unless you give up that locker usage.

Also I'm guessing you got rid of the hand control trolling motor but I have used foot control my whole life and just recently switched to hand control and I like it much much better. That being said, I have an extension handle on the tiller and a big foot brand on/off foot switch. So basically I steer and control speed with my hands (via the long extension handle) and just step on the big foot switch to make it go. Also the big foot switch has a continuous on setting. I like this much better than steering with my foot. I've even had a wireless trolling motor and I like my set up better

Since it isn't a locker I'd say all you have to do is build a platform to mount your TM to the left side

I've actually seen pictures of some on fish & ski models but will have to hunt the web to find them for ya

Brad, Since you are diu, may I suggest moving the black bracket ,left, then placing a 4x4 up to the notch , about 2 ft.  Place the trolling unit so that it sticks out a few inches to the left & clears the center. If it looks good, attach it with screws. The 4x4 will keep the rail cleared if high enough & will clear the compartment.  dada 12-25-13  10:20 AM

• Like 1