TNKen

Lost my fishing buddy today

My Dad's journey on this earth ended about 9:00 pm tonight.  He had battled lung cancer since last April, and fought a valiant fight.  Even today, in the hospice house, the nurses couldn't understand why a frail, broken fellow wouldn't pass.  Strong willed he was. 

As a younger man, he and my uncle fished South Holston and wore the largemount out.  Never fished anything but top water plugs.  Probably his most favorite were the Jitterbugs.  Loved the top water strike. 

After he finished his stint in the army, he returned to Bristol and was the Outdoors and Sports Editor for the Bristol Newspaper.  Tons of stories about him going on trout stocking in the Holston Mountains.

Took him striper fishing quite a few times, but he hated slow trolling.  Loved to cast for trout or anything that would hit a plug.  Only managed to get him out three times this year.  Ignore the method used to display the trout as he would rather eat them than show them off. 

Couple of summers ago my good friend Trey took us out and we had a monster day on stripers.  Multiple hookups, doubles, ran up the river and trout fished.  One of the most memorable days of my life with him.  Trey walked in the room just as Dad was taking his last breath.  I'm not sure why, but God certainly has a way of making things better.   

I sit here sipping his drink of choice, Maker's Mark, wondering how my life will be without him.  Worrying about things I said and didn't say, things I did and didn't do.  But really it doesn't matter.

Here are a few pics. Trey is the younger fellow in the striper pics. 

IMG_3500_zps5ed94cd5.jpg

TreyandDad_zps7ae7daa4.jpgIMG_9291_zpsd8830f4f.jpgIMG_9289_zpsb9e2dbca.jpg

• Like 1

Ken, Please accept my condolences for your loss. It's a difficult thing to loose your father, fishing buddy and great friend. I can tell you that you will never forget the great times and memories you had together, especially while fishing. Prayers sent for you and your family.

Sorry to hear of your loss. There are no words which can take away the pain of this loss.  You said God has a way of making things better,He does. Take his hand and depend on him for the strength and understanding you need right now. Your Dad sounded like a man of fortitude and a strong will, look inside and I'am sure you will find the same instilled within you. You and your family are in my prayers.  May God bless               

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your Dads passing, I too just lost mine recently and it amazes me how so many of the best memories that you will never forget revolve around fishing. We all need to pass that on. You and your family are in my prayers.

He will always be with you.  Every time you fish you will be reminded of him; your love of everything outdoors surely came from him. You have been blessed by an outstanding man.

He's catching one on every cast now!  Remember those great fishing moments and thank God for the time you got to spend with him.  God Bless

Memories--You had good ones with your Dad. Mine has been gone for 30 years, but I still cherish the few times I fished with dad & Mom as a kid. My condolences to you & family. dada 11-28-13

sorry to hear of anyone losing their dad, time has a way of making everything seam a little better. I do know what your going through my friend, this January 12 my Dad will be gone for 35 years,  as time goes by you don't think of them as often, but when you do it still hurts, but with the passing of time, you will be able to deal with it better. I'm a strong believer in Prayer my friend, so when your really sad, just ask Jesus to help you, and he will.

My condolences on the loss of your father.  Sounds like you have made some great memories and that is what is important.  He's in a better place and you'll see him again one day.  It's never easy, enjoy the time and memories you made together.