MISSION JIGS

Winter/Cold Water Safety

I have a buddy who recommended some cold weather gear that you guys may want to check out. There is a video on the website (idigear.com) that shows this stuff will actually float you if you fall in. My buddy hasn't had his suit long but is pretty impressed by it so far. The brand mane is Artic Armor. I was considering purchasing some. Has anyone else tried this cold weather gear. Would be some nice insurance if you fell in the water.

I just recieved my Arctic Armour suit yesterday. It seems well made and isn't as bulky as I thought it would be. I tried it on yesterday after I got back from fishing. I didn't go outside with it on, I had enough of standing out in the rain from the fishing trip. My house temp was 68 degrees and I had to take it off after a couple of minutes with a t-shirt and jeans under the suit. It seems really warm so far. I might post up a full review in our Product and Gear Review forum after a cold weather fishing trip.

• Like 5

Keep some matches and fire starters in a waterproof bag in your console. If you do fall in and can get out, idle to nearest bank and start a fire. Having a towel and a change of clothes on hand is always a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now there is ice on the water!! My daughter showed me pic of a friend standing on the ice at a area lake, prob about 100yds from shore! Of course I told her how dangerous this could be! Don't just go walking on the ICE!!

• Like 2

Glad they were ok! God really was lookin out for them, especially being in the water that long! Praise to the man up stairs for having the right people there at the right time!

Retired last year... 28 Years in the Coast Guard... Spent almost 16 years of that time at sea. I've witnessed a lot of terrible things when it comes to people and water, but with that being said... Being out on the water is usually a joyous experience. As mentioned many times already... A PFD is paramount, but a couple other things I would like to suggest:

Always let your better half (or significant other) know where your going and where your launching, and an approximate time you'll be back. That way if you do get into trouble, they'll know when to call for help and where to send it.

Also, don't keep your phone in your pocket while in the boat. If you fall into water with your cell, it won't be any good to you when you get back into the boat and should need to call for help.

And lastly... Take it slow and steady in congested areas, around other boats, and/or unfamiliar waters. Speed Kills!

Have a safe Coast Guard boating day :)

• Like 4

Something I have found that is remarkable but very small is a space blanket.  It comes all folded up but is amazing at reflecting nearly all your body's heat back on itself.  I would suggest putting it in your emergency kit.  Also, I always brief my partner as to where all my safety equipment is in my boat.  I have spare clothes, towels, first aid, and survival equipment but it sometimes gets spread out in my storage boxes.  I will gather that all together thanks to this topic!  If I go in, I want my partner to be able to react quickly to get me in the boat but also make those decisions I will be too cold to make rationally.

A PFD is always a must plus if you have it on under your clothes, it keeps you warmer!  I usually put a rain jacket on over it to smooth out the profile for fishing.  Great topic!

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2013 at 7:06 PM, Kickapooh said:

Great thread and great advice. I actually was very worried about this last winter. My old C Skiff has no ladder on the back or much of anything to stand on. So I looked around for something portable I could bring with me when fishing alone. I ended up buying one of these for about $50. I take it with me when I go out alone.post-31-1385217582836_thumb.jpg