Sign in to follow this  
Bblevins34

Anybody know what this is?

Posted Image

I'm pretty sure it is a carp but the color was weird and so was the mouth. The scales were definitely like a carp. It was 49.5" long. Weight I'm guessing had to be 40lb or more. My buddy actually foul hooked it and it took us about 20 minutes to get it in.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Bet that fish bent the rod over just a little

Definitely. It was caught well accidentally snagged with a medium light spinning rod and 6lb test.

I'll bet that was fun, what'd you do with it?

It was released. Hopefully it lived but it was pretty wore down.

There was a lake back in Illinois that had grass carp in it. When states release grass carp into lakes, they try to sterilize them so that they don't reproduce. They hadn't done that in this lake back in Illinois and the grass carp ate all of the vegetation in the lake. The home owners would throw their grass clippings into the lake to feed the fish. They called the lake Wood Lake because that was all that was there was wood. And huge grass carp.

Stick an arrow in one and watch them pull a 16' flat bottom around. Good times with sling'n fiberglass arrows and a muzzy head. Emory River has some good ones along with Melton Hill. Those are $$ fish in a bow fish'n tournament. I'm sure that fight was accompanied with some sore arms and elbows.