Sign in to follow this  
JFleming

I need batteries...suggestions?

I need two trolling motor batteries.I have always bought them at Walmart just for the convenience and am still leaning in that direction.Suggestions are ALWAYS welcome!Jim

I lean the same way, but not just for the convenience. Walmart batteries have always served me well and are priced right. Walmart also has a good warranty on their batteries. The only exception is the battery I use for my Coleman Crawdad. Since I have to take the battery out when I load and unload the boat, I use an Optima so that I won't spill acid out if the battery happens to overturn.

Edited by LarryMc

I use a lot of battery power every time on the water so I like the high $$$$$$$$ stuff. The blue top Optima lasted me 6 years. I went to the Duracell this time that Sam's sells. $200. batteries. Wal-Mart is a good choice because if you have a failure anywhere it is easy enough to replace.

I would love to have all Optimas. But, I can't make myself dish out the $$$$.I have a mix of brands. My trolling batteries are Everstart, and have served well. I have one Diehard, and one more Everstart for bait tanks. And, an Interstate for boat power. Whatever the brand, properly maintaining them is the key. Keep them charged up.

I like Deka batteries. They serve me well. Deka makes the Duracell Marine battery. Nothing wrong with the Everstart as you can get them replaced easily. Johnson Controls makes them as well as a bunch of other names. The Interstate,Autozone and Advance batteries are made by Johnson controls too.

I use two (12v) 8D Deep Cycle batteries for my trolling motor and electronics. They are huge and weight about 100lbs a piece but we never have to worry about not having enough juice on the boat.

Posted Image

I use two (12v) 8D Deep Cycle batteries for my trolling motor and electronics. They are huge and weight about 100lbs a piece but we never have to worry about not having enough juice on the boat.

Posted Image

8D is some serious battery power. That's impressive.

Thanks to everyone that replied! I have a Interstate for the starting and electronics, Everstart for the bait tank and Everstarts for the trolling motor.Will most likely stick with them....maybe.LOL.

I have been using the Everstart batteries for 6 years now. I have had VERY good service out of them. I am a little more than a weekend angler but NOT in the same time usage as my friend ecox. I go to Florida every year for a month and had a battery failure there. The local Walmart took care of my problem as good as if I had been back at my local one. To me, that speaks for it's self!

Edited by Stepfire

Johnson Controls is the largest producer of private label lead acid batteries in North America, In 2000 Johnson Controls acquired Optima Batteries of Sweden. The Optima Gel Battery is well known for its quality and longevity. Johnson Controls makes most of the private label, Interstate, DieHard, Duralast, Everstart, also supplies oem for Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan

crafterbob nailed it! Batteries are a lot like lawnmowers. Even though there are a bunch of labels and different names, they are almost all made by the same few manufacturers. There are differences, and normally you get what you pay for. I have Interstate Batteries and use the heck out of them for years without problems. If you know of something that works for you then I would stick with it. If you want to spend more money then go with the Optima because they really are that good. It is just a steep price to pay.

Trolling motors are pretty tolerant to batteries. Just make sure you guys are using at least 800CCA batties on your outboards. If you use those cheap 500 or so CCA batteries it will eventually cause damage to your larger outboards. Its kinda like smoking cigarettes, some people smoke for 60 years and never have a problem and some people end up getting sick relatively quick but we all know its not healthy and so is using those walmart batteries on outboards especially 4cyl and larger with larger charging systems.This recommendation i originally got straight from CDI electronics and have noticed when im replacing power packs and stators on engines most of the time they have a 550CCA battery.

I'd go with the Optimas.. They're a bit pricey, but being AGM, they"re leakproof and outperform the wet cell batteries.

Edited by miket55

Put Interstate's on my 36v Riptide 101 trolling motor. I can run 6 hours, check the charge and its alway shows full. Probably more to do with Minn Kota's electronics than the batteries.

Thanks for everyone's input on my battery quest! I decided to go with Duracell AGM 31 series and finally was able to get the time to install them this evening. Replaced the series 27 battery trays with 31 series from Cabela's.Old batteries:[ATTACH]113[/ATTACH]New batteries:[ATTACH]114[/ATTACH]Used wing nuts instead of the included hex nuts:[ATTACH]115[/ATTACH]Put NCP-2 corrosion preventative, from Walmart on the terminals and they are charging now,again, Thanks for EVERYONE'S input! Now I need to put them to use.

post-33-13852175366383_thumb.jpg

post-33-13852175366949_thumb.jpg

post-33-13852175367452_thumb.jpg

post-33-13852175368148_thumb.jpg