Outboard Mechanic Recommendations?

Loopy

Looking for a reputable mechanic who is reasonable and fairly quick to work on my outboard. Somewhere within a few miles of the forks of the river Knoxville area. Outboard has been running rough the last 3 or 4 trips out. Yesterday when I put in and cranked it up it started smoking. Took the cowl off and water had filled up  in the engine reservoir seemed to be flowing from some where  around the top of the engine block but couldn't tell exactly where. Found several pieces of a blue colored gasket had broken loose in there.  Mercury 50 elpto. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys. Others I know of recommended Chris at Louisville Marine but when I went there he said he only works on

Evinrudes now. Chris said it didn't sound good from what I told him he said it sounded like a blown power head gasket. He sent me to Ulta Marine so I left the boat there. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them.

A shop limited to Evinrude could eventually work himself out of a job.

There is no longer any Evinrude outboards in production.  But hopefully for him there is a lot out there to keep him busy. Parts are still available but that may dry up one day in the not so distant future.

Hope you can get back on the water soon!

20 hours ago, Loopy said:

Thanks guys. Others I know of recommended Chris at Louisville Marine but when I went there he said he only works on

Evinrudes now. Chris said it didn't sound good from what I told him he said it sounded like a blown power head gasket. He sent me to Ulta Marine so I left the boat there. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them.

Are you sure it’s not Yamaha he works on? For the longest Chris was only Mercury, then he became a Yamaha dealer

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, crafterbob said:

I had the same thing happen to my 2002 mercury 50 hp.  Powerhead gasket for sure . They pulled the power head replaced the gaskets was back in business. You should be ok as long as you didn't run it full of water.

Yep Ultra Marine on Topside road fixed me up. I've been back on the water for a while now.