Thought I would throw this one out there for a forum discussion.  1) My deep cycle battery (exclusively used to power the trolling motor) is now approaching two years.  I am not having any issues with it (charges fine and performs fine) yet the two years of use have me thinking about getting a new one.  If I do replace it I am looking for the best "value" (don't want to cheap out NOR have to go to the bank for a loan - nor do I want to go to my bride of 36 years for permission...)  2)  I have a second battery in the boat for starting and deep cycle - powers the Helix and the live well.  It too is approaching two years of use - with no issues.  (I faithfully charge both after use.)

So the question is I would like recommendations on 1) Pure deep cycle battery and 2) starting / deep cycle battery that will perform and NOT break budget.

I think I’ve been using ones labeled “dual purpose” for the last 5-6 years. If you look closely they have cold cranking amps and reserve capacity on the label, I feel like most of the lead acid batteries are about the same quality, I’ve used interstate exide everstart and dura last 

I had a set of (3) excide orbitals and they lasted me 10 years. Now I have Deka's. They seem to last all day. I wish I could go lithium. I wish I could get a minn kota ultrex. I wish I could buy both and not get divorced too. 

29 minutes ago, MuskyMan said:

I had a set of (3) excide orbitals and they lasted me 10 years. Now I have Deka's. They seem to last all day. I wish I could go lithium. I wish I could get a minn kota ultrex. I wish I could buy both and not get divorced too. 

You could start selling duct tape wrapped trebles on BBC

Why do divorces cost so much?  They're worth it LOL     

I think Rusty is right, most about same quality.  Last I bought was at Advance because they're everywhere and warranty issues do happen.

Don't know about lithium but you would indeed love Ultrex.  Have one and it's the best thing I've ever added to a boat. Expensive but worth it.

The best battery is one that has very good smart charger. Walmart or Batteries Plus.. Duracell makes a motorcycle battery that I just purchased from Batteries Plus and was very surprised at the power out of the box, yes a Duracell motorcycle battery, who’d a thought?

duracell is a good brand made by Johnson Controls who also makes Deka.

East Penn manufacturing and Johnson controls manufacture most brands of batteries sold in the U.S.

While I've not owned Duracell , I'd think the 31 deep cycle for around $100 is a good deal.  If I lived near Sam's Club I'd own one too.

• Like 1

Just received a circular from BassPro today.  Tracker is now offering Lithium Ion batteries. A group 27 costs about 3 times the price of an AGM or 2 1/2 times an Optima.  Weighs less than half.

Last I saw, lithium ions started at $1500 to $2000.  Price must have really dropped.

The best value for me is the Wal-Mart batteries. I could give all the reasons but I use more battery than anybody I know.  

• Like 3

I am going to try the Sam's Club option.  It makes sense based on the manufacturer.   - Thanks for the insight!

As far a Lithium goes, they scare the sh__ out of me.  I work for UL and we test lithium battery packs all the time.  Can you say BOOM?  Poorly made battery packs just blow / catch fire all the time.  (google the video's)   I can survive buying several non-lithium batteries for years and still not make up the cost differential.

I've been using the same autocraft starting battery going on 9 years now. I got it at advance auto but they no longer sell them there. As far as one for the trolling motor they are all about the same and the optima's are a waste of money imo.

I guess it is like a lot of the things the pro anglers use, they don't have to worry about anything going wrong with their stuff since they will replace it within a year, or the manufacturer will replace/fix it.  I too plan to wait on the lithium ion batteries for the exact same reason, especially with a "new" provider of the technology.

If new batteries every two years is part of your maintenance plan, I'd go with the cheapest ones you can find. Properly maintained, any of them should last two years with any issues in that time frame being about the same from low end batteries to top of the line. 

• Like 1