dada

Time for new motor

After 31 year old motor went bad again, I ordered a new one. Found that 2 cycles are not  made, so I got a 4 cycle that weighed less than my old one. A 20 hp Tohatsu that pushes my 14" boat better than the Evenrude 25.  The dealer in Jefferson City was knowledgeble & knew what I asked, so I will  deal with him in the future also.  It is great to meet an honest dealer----! I will keep you informed when I get the new one.   dada 6-17-20   8:25 AM

• Like 3

Good to know...Care to mention the name of the dealer? Based on your experience, I'd drop in next time I'm looking at motors.

55, His name is Eddie & he is owner of  Aztec Marine, the name on building is Denney's Marine on Cherokee Blvd, Jefferson City. His location is a few blocks past Carson-Newman.   dada  6-17-20   1:10 PM

He used to be Cajun Marine near Swann's Marina.

Never have owned this brand but I've heard good reviews.

Congrats on new prop turner!

Glad you got you a new and hopefully a dependable motor.  That ole banger you had the other day when we saw you in the Eden Hollow sounded like it was on its last good leg.

Eddie at aztec looked at the motor when I told how it was running  & told me what was wrong & costs to fix it. ALL IN  1 MINUTE!  That convinced me to get rid of the 31 year old & get a new one. His prices were $1000 less than other s of the same brand.  He ordered a Tohatsu for his store with my order just to get free shipping for me, a savings of $150.    dada   6-17-20   9:06 PM       Darnit! Eddie has to vacate by Aug 1 because  the owners wants  to sell the property there. Hope he stays close----    dada 6-18-20   1:07 PM

Edited by dada

I had a Tohatsu TLDI 90 hp on a previous boat. That engine was awesome. The most reliable and quiet engine at that time. I would not hesitate to buy another one if I had to. Great engines.

• Like 1

The new 20hp Tohatsu works great, but has to be ran 10  hrs before full throttle.   dada  6-26-20  7:07 AM

Tohatsu makes good motors. The Nissan motors were also made by Tohatsu. If I’m not mistaken, Tohatsu held the world record for endurance among outboards at one time, still may. I can’t remember all the details but I think some guy in Japan strapped one on his boat and hit the ocean  for a long period of time breaking the past record.

Yup, I think your right, I had a nissan 40hp on an older boat years ago, same thing, just plain ran forever it seemed like. If I repower in the years to come, it will be a tohatsu. But my Evinrude E-Tec has been so good to me too. It's just too bad they are stopping production of E-Tecs.

• Like 1

Finally got the new motor to plane out for a few hundred yards while breaking it in, just one time. My old 25 would do 23 MPH, the new Tohatsu  20 would do 20. SHUCKS!. Oh well, it starts great, vibrates a little more than the old one & gets great gas mileage. AND it doesn't leave me stranded---- dada 6- 28-20  9:23 PM

• Like 4

Good motors Dada, Eddie is a great guy. I bought a new Tohatsu 6 hp. from him this spring to use as a kicker motor..

Tohatsu makes all the small 50 hp. or less for Mercury.